Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips to extend the life of our Projectors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to extend the life of our Projectors!

I thought that this would make for a good topic, as none of our projectors are getting any younger. My tip of the day? Switch all of your metal reels out for plastic reels! The heavier the reel, the more wear and tear on the motors of your projectors, especially when it comes to rewinds. Those ELMO reels, though lovely and highly prized, add a good deal of weight, especially when you take into account those 1200ft Metal ELMO reels. Trust me, your Projectors will thank you.

An old collector once told me to never use your projectors to rewind films, as it will strain the gears. Always use a separate pair of manual rewinds, or motorised ones.

Comment

I would say also, do not leave them idle for too long, lubricatin can/does harden when allowed to sit not moving.

Comment

Since the killer issue is often worn guides, I'd say clean and lube film guides so it takes longer to wear them out.

There are commercial lubricants, and some folks swear by furniture polish.

Comment

That reminds me. I haven’t run my Elmo ST100 for a few months (the others need maintenance anyway so I’m not concerned). Moving out of state a few months ago got me discombobulated. Perhaps it’s time to view a Three Stooges short! Films cleaned and lubed with FilmGuard.

Now I just need to find the box that I packed my films in! 😂🤷‍♂️

Comment

That's a good one, not using your projector to rewind films. I use an old Copal super 8 magnetic/optical sound projector for my rewinds. No good anymore for films (scratches everything you project to hell), but it has some good power on it's rewinds.

Comment

Use something else to spool the film...PERIOD.

Take up reels put a ton of stress on the drive train especially at startup and as it gets full with film.

In theory the projector can handle picture and sound reproduction BETTER if spooling is NOT part of the process.

Van Eck can set you up with rollers and you can get a 16mm machine to accommodate adapters and large reels

as most of you know, I've been there and done that and love it

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.4 KB ID:	99289

In this picture up to 2000' of film can go through the GS1200 with the arms of the machine in closed position. This will work with any machine of any original capacity level. Let THAT sink in.......🙂
                Last edited by Chip Gelmini; April 14, 2024, 03:46 PM. Reason: Added more data.

Comment

Please no jokes about the blinds. This is the outdoor theater and during daytime. The blinds are closed.
                  Last edited by Chip Gelmini; April 14, 2024, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X