Raiders Of The Lost Ark - Stereo in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andreas,

I was only passing on what Derek Simmonds told me, and knowing him as the business man he was, if he thought he could get his hands on the Marketing negs, and possibly new Paramount product, he wouldn't have walked away without trying. He did say that it was the American registered Marketing Films International that had the big royalty debts, he never said anything about the German parent company, which carried on in Europe for a few more years! He said to me that Paramount were very reluctant to even talk to him, after the dissapointing business with one 8mm company, and it was only Derek's legendary powers of persuassion even got him talking to someone at Paramount. So there you have it, I tend to believe Derek, that Marketing Films International owed a lot of rights money to Paramount, just for one thing, Derek Simmonds, he would have got a deal in some way once he got his foot in the door, and as we all know he never had a deal with Paramount, tells you all you need to know, MFI must have owed a lot of money!

Comment

For a second I had strange thoughts like why would a UK flat-pack furniture store (put down as Made For Idiots) would owe Paramount money. Mainly because I am sitting on a 45 year old MFI chair with my computer on an MFI table reading this. :-)

Comment

It would be fascinating to know if Derek ever considered DRAGONSLAYER, as it was one of the best sword and sorcery films, and perhaps spoke to Disney about this. I expect Disney would have had no objection, but the fact that it was a co-production with Paramount may have ruled it out.

Comment

Adrian,

It would have been down to who distributed it in Europe, as he had to go through Disney for "Die Hard with a Vengeance" although this was distributed in the U.S. & Canada by 29th Century-Fox, although he got world rights, I think it mattered where the deal was done legally.

Comment

Barry, one of the former owners of Marketing-Film has lived in Los Angeles for decades. He works there as an artist. He would have a lot to tell about the good old Super8 times.

Comment

There's a copy of the 400ft Raiders on ebay now, picture seems to have no or little fade.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super8-fi...0AAOSwNp1e71NI

Comment

Jeff Films might we'll be the company. I have they're Return of the Jedi trailer and fortunately, it is on low fade film stock.

Comment

Ade. Just pulled the spool and it was Jeff Films with the negative being struck 8/11/1981 version 2. It sits nicely at the start of Raiders ending with the other Indy trailers and finally walk out music on a blank screen.

You prompted me to sort my un watched trailers and I have the Derann version along with a Kodachrome reduced from a 16mm print being one of my experiments back in el day. Within my collection I have a box of dealers correspondence where deals were struck across the pond and back again for negatives etc. They make a fascinating read with one or two being um a little heavy handed shall we say but very interesting.

Comment

Looks like theres another one, with Excellent Colour, Plenty of Photos provided on ebay, not red like mine, see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAIDERS-O...wAAOSwrmBfaKRB

Comment

A most interesting thread... Thank You, Andreas, for all the interesting facts around marketing film, piccolo and ufa.
                      I can still remember the change of the prices from 149 to 19 DM.
                      At this time I still payed 89 DM for „Raiders of the lost Arc“ and I watched my reel this weekend. It’s faded polyester now, but still beautiful to watch.
                      How many „Grease 2“ prints had been produced approximately? What a jewel...

Comment

I am sorely tempted to buy the combination reel of all three original trailers to the original features. It is a fairly new 200ft release and from what I have heard, a good print.

Comment

I had the Raiders reel for the longest time then suddenly it faded. So I sold it. But recently one came up, no screenshots, but a reliable seller said it had beautiful color and it did.

Comment

Working...
                          X