WINGS (The Full Feature)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINGS (The Full Feature)

There are many almost forgotten cinematic masterpieces and when I found William A. Wellman‘s classic WINGS on BluRay 2 years ago I was completely fascinated of the touching story, the outstanding camera ideas and the breathtaking aerial shots. I then asked in the Forum if there is a Super 8 full version. Some collectors replied, there is a cutdown on Super 8 and a Regular 8 full feature. It took two years of waiting and looking for a print and finally some weeks ago, I found it on eBay.com. The price was more than okay and - I missed the auctions ending… But I was lucky: although there were several observers no one bid. The seller re-instaled the film on a lower Buy-it-now option and now I own it. The feature arrived safely from Ohio, USA in Berlin, Germany.
    I cleaned the print and today I screened it.
    It is a mute print, so I took the soundtrack CD by composer J.S.Zamecnik (which of course is not the complete score).
    Of course You cannot compare the BluRay image with Regular 8 and not every reels contrast is perfect, but the print is wonderful and catches all the atmosphere and action, as I know it.
    There are 7 reels with all „Paramount“-leaders and tails attached, reel 3 ends with the „Intermission“ card - and to me the film looks complete on 18 frames/second. The sharpness is okay and there are only a handful of title cards which You can’t read because of a too light image.
    Also the special effect „bubbles“ which appear in the „Jack sees bubbles“ scenes in Paris are visible crystal clear. Amazing if You think of this really really small Regular 8 format.

As a huge fan of WINGS I can only recommend this print. (Maybe some of my fellow collectors know more about its distributor?) I will keep this feature as a treasure to my collection and gave it metal cans with a design, because there was no original box.

Comment

Oliver, that is really great that your perseverance really paid off and you finally got your long sort print of this really outstanding film!
      A word of caution perhaps. I would recommend that you store your films in cardboard boxes. Some people on this forum, yours truly included, believe that keeping films in tight fitting metal cans, and clamshell plastic boxes, hastens the onset of vinegar syndrome due to the inability of the film to breathe (outgas).

Comment

Oliver,

Thank you for your review. I also wonder who the 8mm distributor was, I'd like to thank them for keeping the "Intermission" title!

Dino Everett wrote this essay which discusses the "Magnascope" presentation used in certain theaters at the time of Wing's original release. During aerial battle sequences "A standard 15 foot by 20 foot screen would expand out to 25 foot by 40 foot. This required theatres​ showing the film to employ a third projector with a special shutter, intermittent and lens configuration that would be used to project only the Magnascope sequences.​"

What an amazing viewing experience that must have been.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnascope.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	106616

Comment

Paul, thank You for the advise, but until today none of my reels in metal cans got vinegar. But I will be careful.

Douglas, this is really an amazing find. I imagine that it must have been glorious!
          Thank You for this Magnascope memory✨

Comment

Oliver, I'm very happy for you. I think I saw that listing as well, and I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates what he got. It's an added bonus that it looks so good. I just picked up a copy of THE COVERED WAGON last week or so, and I'm happy with that, too!👍🏻

Comment

William
              Thank You very much.

THE COVERED WAGON was the first big budget western and is beautifully filmed and very authentic and I like it, too.
              Congratulations.
              I did not know that it is available on celluloid; what a treasure!

Comment

Has any DVD, Blu-ray or otherwise presentations ever shown the film with the magnascope portions of the film intact?

Comment

Working...
                X