No announcement yet.

The Million Dollar Cat - 1944 - Tom & Jerry cartoon - Colour - Derann release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Million Dollar Cat - 1944 - Tom & Jerry cartoon - Colour - Derann release

Colour = The LPP stock has been printed too dark, the normal rich colours of LPP have been lost
    Sound = Excellent. Tom speaks !
    Box = Original Derann with two colour label

Tom inherits a million dollars from an eccentric relative, but a condition of the will reads that he "refrain from harming any living creature, including even a mouse". To keep him aware of this Jerry carries with him a torn off section reading "even a mouse" which he constantly flourishes when in any immediate danger. They move to a plush apartment on Park Avenue where Jerry enjoys being one up on Tom. But Tom is quietly seething and plans an accident by disguising a window as a fire escape through which Jerry leaps after Tom shouts "Fire". But even a fall from the top floor does not harm the mouse, and he instantly turns up on Tom's meal tray. Tom now looses his temper, Jerry waves the piece of paper at him, but Tom grabs it and tears it to pieces shouting "I just threw away a million bucks , but I'm happy" as he finally advances on Jerry.

An early offering from the duo with Tom not yet fully like the later Tom. The film moves at a pace with great gags coming fast and furious. Whilst this is in a Derann box it also has a smaller label with details plus "MGM Super 8, P.O.Box 296, Bogta, New Jersey, 07603". The leader states "Maritz Lab - 8/24/77". I see from an Internet search that they had many labs in the U.S. including one in New Jersey. So it appears that Derann may not have had any dealing with the actual processing.

I can't really recommend this due to the poor printing, but as a film it's great entertainment. If you can find a better print, then go for it.

Maurice

If it had Maritz labs on the leader maybe it wa one of the Ken Films negatives that Derann took over. My MGM/Ken print of Casanova Cat has a Maritz Labs leader (not Lpp) and my Derann copy of The Two Mouseketeers.

Comment

As I said above, the white box has two labels. A large Tom & Jerry Derann one, and a smaller MGM one.

The latter is on the end flap and has the Title, a Copyright Notice, then:- Million Dollar Cat (c) 1944 by Loew's Incorporated renewed 1971 by Metro-Goldwyn Mayer Inc. Then followed by the MGM and address as mentioned above.

This leads me to believe that the printed film and its box arrived from the US and Derann just stuck their label on it.

If Derann had the negative for their own printing they surely wouldn't have had a box with the MGM label on it.

Maurice

Comment

If its LPP stock it's a later print, I would say MGM finished production of super 8 long ago by then,Mark

Comment

I have now discovered that this film may have been one of Derann's "White Box Specials". Films which had a very slight defect which were sold at much lower prices.
          Prospective buyers were made aware of the reason for the price reduction.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
          X