Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son of Red Print Theater : PROPHECY ( 1979 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of Red Print Theater : PROPHECY ( 1979 )

Welcome to : Son of red print theater !!

WELCOME - TO THE NEW 8MM FORUM !

HENCE " SON OF RED PRINT THEATER " !
    Hello fellow film fiends !
    This month's selection is …..PROPHECY ( 1979 )...ON SUPER 8MM !

Yes , it's Marketing Films' 3- parter...all in GLORIOUS FADED RED EASTMAN COLOR !!

A log company's waste mutates the environment, creating a giant killer bear-monster.

A Savage beast, grown to monstrous size and driven mad by toxic wastes that are poisoning the waters, spreads terror and death on a Maine countryside.​

It did have its share of cheesy moments, but Prophecy is one of the best rampaging-mutant movies I've seen - and I've seen quite a few. Some viewers have complained that the terror shots are too few and far between, but this is an ancient and now-lost film-making technique called 'building suspense'. Personally, I think it enhanced the shock value of the monster (which, by the way, still manages to give me the occasional nightmare, even as I approach 70). The scene where Foxworth, speaking into a tape recorder as he puzzles out the environmental disaster, gradually realizes the nature and extent of what he's facing, is a true cinematic gem. If this were a 'serious' movie, it would have been worth of at least a nomination, and the chainsaw/axe duel is intense. However, horror movies rarely win awards.

I do laugh during the sleeping bag scene, though. Can't help myself. And the viewer can clearly see that the monster morphs from fifteen feet tall to eight feet tall when it goes from close-ups to action shots. The creature itself is terrifying, in my opinion. Anyone who can't suspend their disbelief enough to overlook a few flaws in the special effects techniques probably shouldn't be watching monster movies, anyway.

This is one of the prizes of my Super 8mm collection, if I ever find it on DVD/ Bluray or Laser Disc, I won't hesitate to add it to THAT collection, as well.
    ( Let's not leave out streaming too )

I always laugh at the sleeping bag scene as well, reminds me of the sack race at school.

Comment

Hi David and Tom, Don't hate me, but my 3X400 and 400 digest reels have retained a great deal of color. Not writing to brag (lol), just to let you know that the 400' digest contains some additional footage not in the 3-part set. I've only watched it a few times after I pieced the scenes together, so I couldn't really tell you what the extra footage contains, but I believe the new running time is slightly over an hour. Plus mine fits nicely on a 600' and a 400' reel, since the film stock is so thin. Hope you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

I don't know WHAT happened to all my screen shots , so here they are again -
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7831.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	21626 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7832.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	21627
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7849.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	21628 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7853.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	21629 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7856.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	21630 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7867.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	21631 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	21632 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7873.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	21633

Comment

I didnt mention our but also glad to add that colours are still good on our 3x400 (joined onto an 800ft reel). You can see my screenshots on the other channel.

Comment

Tom , don't you and Carter know that's why this is called RED PRINT THEATER ?

Comment

In the uk we lost just under 10 seconds of the stuffed bear due to censoring grrrr.
              it's a collectable on 8 and with the blessing of son of red should be run regularly.

Comment

Sorry David, I apologize for not reading the fine print (ha ha).

Comment

Yes Lee....that Marketing box shown above - that particular scene was cut from it !

Comment

Mine is fading though,×

Comment

Soon to be added to the annals of red print theater !!!

Comment

Probably looks better red he. All these spook films are great and we film collectors were suckers for them, prob why so many made 8 I guess.
                        Piranha was another unexpected success

Comment

Working...
                        X