The NeverEnding Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NeverEnding Story

Well it has been never ending, I did screen it yesterday and still regard it as one of the best Scope digests around.

Years ago when I did the review 2007 I felt the print was fading a bit, 13 years on and nothing has changed color wise which is great

Anyway this is the second time in the last few months that I have screened it along with other Super8 Scope films. I thought I might add some up to date screen photos, not of yesterday, but from the one a few weeks back. .

For a second hand print bought from the Derann list a million years ago well it seems like that its lasted really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160284.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	27034

Name:	P1160286.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	27035

Name:	P1160292.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	27036

Name:	P1160296.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	27037

Name:	P1160297.JPG
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	27038

Name:	P1160315.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27039

Name:	P1160321.JPG
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	27040

Name:	P1160324.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	27041

Name:	P1160325.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	27042

Name:	P1160349.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	27043

Name:	P1160353.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	27044

Name:	P1160355.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	27045

I have this one as well, and I have always loved that "wolf" creature and his speech! Great screenshots and mine looks just as good. I think the only drawback is the stereo sound. If anybody ever thinks of doing a great stereo remix from DVD or Blu-ray, please let me know!

Comment

I like this digest, too.
      The only sad thing is that the wolf-scene is too extensive while other more important scenes are missing. For example the death of Atréjus horse. It finally is gone and the sad music is introduced anyway.
      But all the other highlights are there and make it a great journey to Phantasia.
      To me the different use of the musical soundtrack is most interesting.
      Giorgio Moroders additional music is not existing in the german release of the full feature, which also offers an amazing picture quality.

Comment

Great digest from Derann, they did some nice 600 footers.

I've seen a couple of prints with fade Graham, the dark scenes have a very noticeable red hue on them, low fade not no fade on some of them, great screenshots and your print looks fade free, Mark

Comment

I wonder if some of the prints were struck on Kodak so? Or perhaps ole school Eastman? I'm surprised to hear that some have a little fade to the blacks.

Comment

Both the Derann version and the German feature share the same image Quality. A very good print.

Comment

Burton, do you own both - the German feature released by Harnischmacher and the Derann 600 ft digest?

I have never seen the super 8 feature, but I remember people being disappointed when the feature was released, because the print was very expensive, but was not as sharp as expected for a then very popular up-to-date scope production.

On the other hand, the Derann 600 footer was considered a great print. I have one in my own collection and have always been happy with the sharp image. But - similar to Mark - I wondered if the print was starting to turn, when I watched it a couple of years ago, as dark picture areas were looking a bit brownish, although the print was struck on Eastman LPP polyester stock, dated 1987.

Comment

I actually pulled out my print the other day, and while the blacks are not "pitch" black, I don't think that they ever were. I think my only complaint is that in a very few scenes, ( the intro of Attreyu ), the image is a tad to bright. The editing is very good. Compare the giant turtle sequence with the full length version, as an example.

Comment

Eberhard, yes I have the Derann Digest and the German feature print. They are both sharp prints with amazing color. I will screen the feature again soon and report back with screen captures. I only hope my Smartphone is up to it!

Comment

I have a german 35mm Print of this with Giorgio Moroders Soundtrack on the Main Title.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                      I have this one as well, and I have always loved that "wolf" creature and his speech! Great screenshots and mine looks just as good. I think the only drawback is the stereo sound. If anybody ever thinks of doing a great stereo remix from DVD or Blu-ray, please let me know!
                      Osi, are you still looking for a good audio remix? Let me know. I did one a few years ago and its fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X