StarWars official trailer in super8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarWars official trailer in super8

I acquired the official StarWars trailer (1977), published in 1976. I was anxious about how the colors would come out but I was pleasantly surprised!
    also love the initial text ‘Thursday next for 7 days’

Click image for larger version  Name:	B123DD15-DEAF-4AAD-B62A-94C4CFD511A6.png Views:	0 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	34814

Click image for larger version  Name:	0885ABEE-61E6-4B13-97BF-CD83F16F0D8A.png Views:	0 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	34811

Click image for larger version  Name:	0C720D41-2D39-45EA-8D4D-56CE52340339.png Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	34810

Click image for larger version  Name:	9BE4987F-B07E-4CF4-BFA7-A3C2DEA10FD7.png Views:	0 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	34809

Click image for larger version  Name:	168C616D-28CE-450A-836A-D7AEB68B09B8.png Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	34808

Click image for larger version  Name:	8FC1666A-815D-4845-8E8D-150838991B62.png Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	34806
    Attached Files

I’ve got this trailer but my colours do not look as good as yours. Nice find. Well done!

Comment

Nice color! I wonder what film stock that was printed on....

Comment

Low fade, as I have this trailer as well. Gee, it seems like it was a long long time ago, maybe in a galaxy ... Far, far away! One thing is for sure, it does feel like it was a different world back then.

Comment

Is that Thursday tag printed in, as opposed to being spliced in by a former owner? I note the Rank leader, so probably a British print. If it came with the Thursday tag, that reflects a time when UK cinemas would generally get new releases on Thursdays, prior to this being changed to Fridays.

Comment

Yes, it was part of the actual printed film, and thanks for that extra info. I wonder what people thought of that trailer back then? I mean, we're used to Star Wars today, but it was entirely new back then. The trailer had a few finished space shots, but this was 1976! The "new age" of science fiction on film was already in the works as of 75! Yes, "2001" already existed, but it's almost like space films took a "quantum leap" in 77!

Comment

Reely nice.
              yes mine is the 1976 pre trailer as well which some may remember was projected on my 1972 Eumig at sunny Blackpool a few years back. Colours are solid and I have had the trailer for many years a nice memory.
              Derann put it out with the opening daysets. Just a little bit precious
              ps LPP

Comment

I remember seeing this trailer myself as a 10 year old and being so truly amazed! Seeing spaceships fly by so fast and impressive, laser gunning each other. It was something I never ever experienced before! This was innovation big time at the time.

Comment

The stern voice over fractures me and a thing of its time.

My print Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	34948

Comment

What a film, what a trailer... Thank You, Patrick!

Comment

A nice trip down memory lane Pat. I'm still trying to work out when Derann issued this but it must have been the 80's? Perhaps someone will have the lists which show it. I'm guessing when the distributor issued it they hand not actually filmed a great deal as its a little thin of action, but still nice of course.

Comment

I don’t know either when this trailer was issued. The YouTube video you linked in is a reconstruction. It doesn’t have the white non colored light sabres where Obi-wan and Vader fight. And at 1:35 Han cries out: “Kid!”. He does this in the movie but NOT in the official trailer. I love those details.
                        apparently initially Lucas had the light sabres made of light reflecting materials, which I believe is what we see in the trailer. But he had the light sabres colored in by hand in red and green later to get the effect we know today.

Comment

Actually I believe you can still see the white sabres reflect in the Vader mask eyes also on the movie where the sabres have been given color

Comment

I have also noticed that when the sabres are pointed at the camera and them moved to simulate the light beam emerging you can sometimes see a couple of frames of uncoloured blades.

Comment

Cinemagnetics did this trailer for JEF FILMS Osterville Massachusetts many years ago. Printed on Eastman, it too is showing signs of fade.

Maybe other companies did it too but I got mine from him.

CG

Comment

Working...
                              X