Gilda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilda

Gilda (1946) Columbia Pictures. Starring Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford and George Macready in the lead rolls. This Classic American Film Noir is Iconic on several fronts: Rudolph Mate's Cinematographic imagery, the costume design and choreography and the Ultimate Femme Fatale performance by Hayworth. The Film captures many of the elements of Noir pictures of the era: Mystery, intrigue, deception, betrayal, murder, Love, Torment and Hate.
    the scenes featuring Ford coupled with Hayworth are sizzling with emotion, ranging from passion to disgust. Both are at their finest in this film George Macready is equally convincing in his Role as Gilda's Husband and Ford's boss. This film is in many ways similar to Casablanca, another Iconic Classic where the two leads having had a past relationship are once again thrust into each others lives again. No spoilers here to those who may not have seen this Classic but a strong recommendation to those who have not, especially those fans of the Noir genre.

The Columbia Pictures Super 8 release would have originally been a 6 X 400' Feature.
    My print had been re-spooled 2 X 1200' by the original owner. The Columbia Feature release of Gilda is excellent in every category. Being B&W the contrast and sharpness category are crucial particularly for Noir where stark contrast predominate. Gilda excels here. The print is nice and sharp with excellent contrast that reveals subtle detail even in the dark. The magnetic soundtrack is flawless with a nice strong recording offering rich and full dynamic range. Very good for a film released in the 1940's The Print I received is in VG condition but I noticed occasional far right base lines, probably remedied by another Filmguard treatment. Overall Gilda on Super 8 is an excellent Feature release and a welcome addition to my collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gilda 1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	35054

Name:	Gilda 2.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	35055

Name:	Gilda 3.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	35056

Name:	Gilda 4.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	35057

Name:	Gilda 5.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	35058

Name:	Gilda 6.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	35059

Name:	Gilda 7.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	35060

Name:	Gilda 8.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	35061

Name:	Gilda 9.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	35062

Name:	Gilda 10.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	35063

Are those from the super 8 print? It has to be the best super 8 black and white feature I have ever seen.

Comment

Yes, the Columbia super 8 feature release. Shots were taken on my Samsung Galaxy 5. Print screened on Sankyo Stereo 800 with HIPRO lens. I find the 150 Watt lamp sufficient with the 1.0 Sankyo lens where the throw is 15 feet. My screen is 7 feet wide and a flat print is about 5 feet wide when projected. A real treat seeing this one unfold on screen for the first time. Previously only viewed on DVD.
      The Super 8 presentation is impressive.
      I neglected the screenplay in reviewing this feature.Often comes off humorous but never further than the truth.
      Last edited by Burton Sundquist; May 24, 2021, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Burton, those screen shots show that your print is the very best that can be obtained from super 8 B&W, the contrast and black level is perfect. What a great addition to your collection!

Comment

I agree with Paul! I mean I own "Casablanca" and "Some Like it Hot", but that tops those!

Comment

Thank you Paul and Osi for your replies. I must add that the Columbia Feature release of Dr. Strangelove is another excellent B&W print on B&W stock. I reviewed that one on the old Forum. As for Casablanca, it is very good but not like Gilda. My print of Some Like it Hot is actually on Eastman LPP! It holds up well considering but there are scenes with a blueish hue. Aside from Gida and Strangelove I would have to say that the DCR print of Oliver Twist is another top notch B&W print on B&W stock, although I have not yet seen High Noon, another highly praised super 8 release,

​​​​​​
            Last edited by Burton Sundquist; May 25, 2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I forgot about my print of High Noon! It's exceptionally sharp. Gee, guess what I'm going to watch tonight?

Comment

Watched Gilda last night on projected Blu Ray. Excellent quality throughout, and always a real treat to watch this classic noir. Really envying Burton having such a great print of such a great movie on Super 8.

Comment

Thanks Paul! It is a nice print and a good Noir film ...Here are more shots. The Columbia Feature releases I have seen are
                  top quality.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_202738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	35272 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_211444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	35273 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_211938.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	35274 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_214117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	35275 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_221107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	35276 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210523_221341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	35277
                  Last edited by Burton Sundquist; May 28, 2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Wow, I never knew this existed in Super 8. I always thought it was released by Columbia in a 400 footer, but when I check old catalogs, I can never find it, and have never seen it listed for sale. (if it was, the narrator would have said, "And now Gilda will peel off her gloves." I didn't know that Columbia themselves ever released feature length films in Super 8. Do you know approximately what year it was released in Super 8? I am guessing early 80's at the end of the mainstream Super 8 era. I doubt there are many prints floating around.

Comment

I doubt there are many prints floating around.
                      For sure. Burton is really lucky to have that superb print in his posession.

Comment

Tony, there is a list in the Forum Archive of the Columbia Super 8 Features released. Many are hard to find today. They released On the Waterfront, Dr. Strangelove and a few more including Gilda. My print arrived on 2X1200' reels with no Original artwork so I can't help with the release date. The feature Gilda was an eBay win. Suprizingly there were not so many watching.

Comment

Working...
                        X