Pathe News 1967 Derann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathe News 1967 Derann

Posts 2-5 were moved from a sale topic. They work nicely to start off a review for this title.

Highly recommend this title for print quality alone and a very good one to have demonstrating how fantastic Super 8 can be. A top shelf title for any collector!
    Picture 10/10
    Sound 10/10

Comment

Totally agree with Lee, my print is also stunning, probably the best color Pathe News that you will ever see, as is the sound quality and commentary by the great classic newsreel voice of Bob Danvers Walker. This was a very special release by Derann, in a hinged plastic case with very nice pictures and Pathe News logo , and am I correct in saying that BDW attended its release at Blackpool and signed the boxes?
      Absolutely not to be missed.

Comment

True Paul memorable times. The Derann team were all showmen headed by one Derek Simmonds who assured we had the best in our collections.

Comment

Paul, I could be wrong but I believe the release signed by BDW in the hinged box was Pathe news 1965. Only ever seen the 1967 in standard cardboard boxes unsigned. I agree its a stunner as all the later pathe news are from the 60's onwards.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the lab had access to the best master material for these, hence the very high quality.

Comment

we also have the pathe 1966 which is also an LPP perfect colour print, pin sharpe and vibrant colours.

Comment

Hi Paul

As mentioned above it was the Pathe News 1965 that was signed and came in the limited edition plastic box. Its a stunning Super 8 print originated from 35mm.

Comment

My mistake guys! Yes the print that I have is the 1965 Review in the plastic clamshell with the internal slip cover. If 1967 is this good then it is also a stunning print. Either way its always great to hear BDW doing his thing, that golden voice, the undisputed king of the newsreel commentators on either side of the Atlantic, and a truly class act.

Comment

I wonder how many boxes BDW signed in relation to the 1965 edition? Whatever the number, I expect he did so when he was the guest of honour at Blackpool, as Paul mentions. As I was there at the dinner, I'll never forget his exceptionally entertaining entrance. Derek said he wanted to screen something by means of an introduction first, so the lights went down and a Pathe News (probably 1965) began. Shortly after it started, we heard serious wow on the soundtrack, followed by the voice of BDW exclaiming something such as "Derek's messed up the sound recording again!" This of course caused a lot of laughs - then the lights went up and the man strode in.

It would be interesting to know if the wow and the comment were actually recorded onto the print, or perhaps Derek caused the wow using the speed control of the GS, and BDW spoke into a microphone. Either way, it was a great idea and perfectly executed.

Comment

Excellent story Adrian. Wish I was there. I think he signed quite a few as many have appeared on second hand lists for a long while.

Comment

If only we could bottle all these memories Ade. Mind you this forum is doing a pretty good job for the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X