Fit To Be Tied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fit To Be Tied

Fit To Be Tied - 1952 - Film Office #86 - Tom & Jerry - 7 minutes - Colour - Sound

This print from France's Film Office carries the title of "Jerry Le Petit Samaritain" although the box states "Jerry En De Buldog".

The film is a slight rehash of the earlier 1944 "The Bodyguard" which has Jerry asked to whistle whereas this film has him ringing a bell.

Spike the Bulldog out for a walk treads on a tack and Jerry assists by pulling it out with a claw hammer. Spike is very grateful and gives Jerry a small bell and tells him to ring if he ever needs assistance. It's not long before Tom threatens Jerry and taking his bell he rings it which brings an instant attack from Spike. Tom eventually gets the idea and treats Jerry like a king and brings him loads of cheese.

Now, the daily newspaper states that the town has declared a leash law for dogs. Tom visits Spike who is chained to his kennel, after measuring the length of the chain, Tom marks the ground. From this mark Tom can now torment the dog without being harmed himself. Later, Spike moves the position of the mark and when Tom returns for further humiliation to Spike he gets attacked once again.

Eventually the law is revoked and the film ends with all three out for a walk, Spike holding a leash attached to Tom. Jerry is behind Spike and each time he rings the bell Spike kicks Tom's rear.

The print is on Agfa stock and the colour is excellent. The sound is also excellent. When Spike speaks some of his dialogue carries small sub-titles in French.

The film comes from the heyday of Tom & Jerry and is, of course, very violent. But it's exceedingly funny with some great gags, particularly with a bubble-gum machine.

I can thoroughly recommend this film.

Maurice

This is one of the best T & Js. We got a copy about two years ago and i think we have watched it as many times as some we have had for years.
    Thank you for the review.

Comment

I got a copy from America, from Steve Villarino, slightly turning now, but I don't mind. It is an excellent cartoon.

Comment

Working...
      X