Highlander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander

HIGHLANDER, starring Christophe(r) Lambert, Roxanne Hart and Sean Connery, which is a festival of Movie Making.
    I was lucky to watch it in the cinemas and was impressed by the story, the cuts, the music, its fantasy…
    A most convincing story of a Scotsman who couldn’t die and is looking for his fate all over centuries.
    The director of photography Gerry Fisher created the most spectacular camera moves and cuts and „makes You feel“ to be part of the action. And the Queen/Michael Kamen soundtrack is epic anyway. What a movie!

And now there is the Super-8-print which recreates all of the atmosphere I remember from the past.
    Derann did a great job and the colour and sharpness is an eyecatcher! (You can even see the wires for the flying effects!)
    And You can experience more than the BluRay can offer, because (like in „Goldfinger“ or „The Terminator“) they didn’t mask the image. So the aspect ratio changes from scene to scene and some of the special effects begin „outside“ the image - or You can see the roof of the studio while Clancy Brown fights Sean Connery to the Top of the tumbling home of MacLeod!
    The source wasn’t perfect: You will know when a reel change is going to happen, because You see scratches and dirt coming. But this is not disturbing: to me it’s pure cinematic spirit. Maybe my print is a later copy and the disturbances are the results of many prints printed before?
    The print itself is clean and bright and atmospheric and a jewel and will make every collector happy.
    The magnetic stripes are light brown and sound great in Stereo (which I did on myself after the first screening) and the picture is steady. And, other than the german release in the cinemas, the feature is uncut. Imagine that: they cut the first „head off-scene“ in the garage back then and nobody understood really what was going on and how important this is to the story…!
    It‘s a wonderful print and worth hunting for.
    A feature which belongs to the big screen.

Very descriptive and enjoyable review Oliver! Excellent screen captures as well! It looks to be another Derann winner!

Comment

Working...
    X