Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Baker
    replied
    Mike , here are some spoiled super 8mm screen shots that show defects that are not on the 16mm answer print .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JAWS print1.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	47245

Name:	JAWS print5.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	47246
    Here are some answer print screen shots

Name:	IMG_9243.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	47247

Name:	IMG_9242.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	47248

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Osi , Is the ghostly wipe you describe being caused by the new prints being digitally sourced rather than originating from a film negative?

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    I loved how large I was able to project this. One of the key barometers for how sharp a super 8 print is, is how large you can project, and the print still looking sharp. Even at a good 15 feet, it was still very easy on the eyes, and the grain, well, you actually have to LOOK for the grain, where usually, it's right in your face, no matter how large you project. I really am happy that super 8 has survived to this level of quality. One last critic on the downside, and this is not a criticism of Dave or the digest per se. Anyone who had been buying these recent prints, will probably know what is refer to. It's what I will call "smear lines". It's a slight, ghostly "wipe" that seems to be in all prints that I get these days. You don't usually notice it too much, mostly only in scenes where the image is a set color for more than a few seconds or more. It's a little distracting. Can anyone else help describe this?

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    True again... I just feel for those of us who have seen 40 or 50 years collecting these new releases from the last couple of decades are the new dawn. In the future they will be the reel collectors classics.

Send us a post card telling us we were right sometime in the future.....

Dracula next I believe RESTORED and Reel Image Christmas Reel #2. These guys have worked so hard please support them.

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    Not only that, Lee, but these new prints will certainly outlast us, where some of our other prints, that are fine right now, will pass they're "sell by date" ... loooong B4 these new prints will.
    Last edited by Osi Osgood; November 18, 2021, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    This is true Osi. Dave is extremely dedicated and wants to see these S8 films at the very best as does dear Steve. We are so fortunate to have all these new films coming thru and what a blessing to us.

Can I offer with the greatest respect to newcomers to the wonderful world of new film print collecting the following.

Investing in the latest film prints on the latest excellent film stock you will want to protect your investment. So, treat yourself to some Film Guard and apply it as described by the manufacturer to your new prints. Newly printed lab prints often come thru with the odd streak which can be mistaken for a scratch. Its not its just a GREEN PRINT aka new.

Just about all my 50 year old prints up to press have Film Guard on and it is the great protector! I do not work for them but I would recommend it particularly to new prints which you will treasure in the future.

The Elmo has projected Jaws now for the 15th time and it is amazing. See it at Blackpool if you are able to come judge for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    It'll certainly be worth the wait, Phillip. I'm also thankful that Dave has this level of quality control. I'm sure that all of the "long haul" collectors remember some of the prints that came out in the 70's and early 80's, that actually almost made us wish that they never came out on super 8 to embarrass us collectors.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Campey
    replied
    Hi Dave, sorry to hear some prints were not up to the quality you were wanting, I’ll wait for a pristine print thanks. I really appreciate you creating these new prints and look forward to receiving my Jaws print.

Leave a comment:

• David Baker
    replied
    It's about quality control . I had received 5 damaged or spoiled prints of JAWS in the first shipment ; I'm not about to send those out .
    So I am waiting on a 2nd shipment .
    If anyone who is still waiting wishes to be refunded , I will gladly do so , just let me know .
    OR if you want a spoiled print , I will refund you 50% and ship it to you NOW . Otherwise you will find them on eBay .
    Any questions or comments , please email me or PM me .

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Campey
    replied
    Nice review Osi, but it just makes me having to wait a few more weeks for my print when I ordered it long before you did a bit more annoying, look at the original thread and you'll see I ordered my print on the 21st July when you ordered yours on the 29th, then Dave said if people paid in full they would receive their print first which I did. Now I have been informed that I am in the second batch. I always believe it should be first come first serve.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Hamilton
    replied
    Got my print - beautiful color - - a great digest edit IMO - so glad to own this new 600 foot version of Jaws !

Leave a comment:

• David Baker
    replied
    Awwww, shucks you guys .

Don't give me ALL the praise ....it was a team effort .

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    A lovely review Osi and well deserved one at that. Carefully condensed to its 30 minute running time and yet again beautiful print quality. The old Uni8 was good in its day but we are seeing modern print stock to a much higher level, gorgeous negative mastering and more. The thing is with the film it had such a strong cast all carefully put together and that shark!
    A great release indeed.
    The stereo sound track was dubbed peaking at a studio measured +2 for screams although these may peak or show differently on various S8 machines on playback. A great title for any collector of 21st century Super 8 prints.

​​​​​​​Well done Dave Films!

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    Sorry, I thought I did that. The Dave cut is remarkably similar to the Universal 8 2x400ft. In some cases, Dave lingers on some shots longer than the U8, for instance, the crab covered body, the boys float, washed up on the shore. The U8 has a little more to the Battle onboard the ship, but they are surprisingly similar, to be sure. I think the letterbox on the U8 is slightly wider, but not by much. When you get this (and trust me, Larry, you will kick yourself if you don't), is the exceptionally low amount of grain. I was highly impressed with that. Unfortunately, we only have a certain amount of words that a review can be up to, and I had to whittle down both this review and the review of Grizzly. One thing I had to leave out, was that I did my audio review using my studio headphones that have exceptional sound reproduction of both the high end as well as the low range, and it did have great low end. Really, it is about as good as stereo can sound on super 8. I used my 926 stereo Eumig for the assessment.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Arpin
    replied
    What a great review. I'm hoping on getting this, eventually. What I would like is a comparison to the U-8 cut. I, too, was a little worried that the letterboxing was less than the U-8 version but I was also impressed with the color. I'm wondering if Dave used a Technicolor print as I'm sure it was printed that way in the UK. But that is for Dave to say. We should be very grateful for what Dave has done as someone like myself and Osi have been through this process. What we should also be grateful is the fine work by the lab and the sound stripe company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X