No announcement yet.

JAWS 600ft Digest DAVE Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike , here are some spoiled super 8mm screen shots that show defects that are not on the 16mm answer print .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JAWS print1.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	47245

Name:	JAWS print5.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	47246
    Here are some answer print screen shots

Name:	IMG_9243.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	47247

Name:	IMG_9242.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	47248

Comment

Hi Dave

So the source for Jaws is 16mm not digital ? The screen images look like some kind print wet gate marks made in production. Derann from memory used to have similar marks on some of their prints which were caused by labs.

Mike

Comment

It's probably what you said - the same thing Derann's prints from the labs . Although I have not ever seen this before - on anything I have owned .

Comment

Good question, Mike! No, it isn't that, as my feature print of Empire Strikes Back, a fairly recent print, most definitely from a 35mm film negative source, (as it has some wear at the reel changes), had this same wipe or ghosting. It is most definitely a part of the printing process, something in the machine. Bear in mind the very fact that we have these new prints in the first place is awesome enough, it's just a slight irritant. It's not noticeable in quick action or quick shot for shot scenes, just when the camera lingers on one shot for a prolonged time, and not just on Empire, but nearly any print today. I'd love, just for the sake of curiosity, to know what causes it.

Comment

It must be incredibly hard to be rid of this completely. Thanks for that demonstration, Dave. I only noticed it a few times, in fact, I think, just once on JAWS, but nothing to be pissed over. Wet gate printing ... Ahhh!

Comment

I have seen this before in another Andec print although not to the degree seen in the Jaws example. A brightly lit landscape scene appear very faint 2 lines right of frame as highlighted in Dave's beach photo.
              Last edited by Burton Sundquist; November 20, 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Many years ago, probably between 1980 and 1983. Our local cinema which was vacant (not Stone though), had a brief revival. A film enthusiasts would put on shows. I wasn't involved with film so can't tell you the projectors make or film format. 16mm or 8mm. But the show was Jaws! Not sure if the full show but possibly was. I've seen Jaws maybe 3 or 4 times in full. Time being what it is I really can't remember what scenes were shown and whether I can say for sure full or not. Remembering now I do seem to remember a n intermission!
                Anyway, long story short, I'm a new Dave Films Jaws print owner. 40 years between shows. Dave Films seems like a snappy referance, is that the official label? Thanks Osi for the review.

Comment

I think the marks shown are created in the printing process possibly wet gate. Let’s face it production is niche market not like the Derann era. Whilst annoying they are minor and liveable with in comparison to negative marks, grading or focus issues.

Comment

Yes. However, if the 16mm Answer print shows none of these artifacts then the question is WHY do they appear when printed on Super 8mm which comes from the same negative? Equipment calibration? cleaning? I know nothing of the process - just making some guesses ...

Comment

I'd like to know too, as, though I am quite proud to have these new prints, if this is correctible, if it means shutting down the lab, at least the super 8 division, in order to do a major clean, than I am all for waiting awhile.

Comment

Derann had their own lab issues in their day. Don’t know how much spending power 8mm sales would have these days but I suppose a request could be made.

Comment

One thing Dave you will always have a team of reel collectors behind you as will Steve. We have the easy job ordering the prints. You both do the reel work God bless you. Dedication to a cause you can never buy ..and when right astounding quality.

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones. This is my second viewing tonight, this time on a SC-18. Wasn't overly pleased with the Bauer. Had a look at the T430's film path, and quite dirty. Nice bright picture on the Elmo daylight screen. Sound is good too, playing both tracks as mono.
                            Here's two YouTube clips. The second is a short extract before I faint!

Richard Dreyfuss meeting Robert Shaw's granddaughter:

It's too scary!

Comment

Hi all,

Wow...that quality looks almost as good as Blu Ray!

I never managed to obtain a copy of the old U8 2x400 to my disappointment.

The quality is amazing - is it taken from a 35mm or 16mm? A negative?? Id like to know. I had a quality 16mm negative of The Classic Mummy's Hand once but could not find a means of printing it cost effectively.

I must say Dave applause to you on these amazing releases.

Cheers all

Mark

Comment

Can’t wait to get my print!📽✨🎉

Comment

Working...
                                X