PHANTASM (DERANN - 1x400 ft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHANTASM (DERANN - 1x400 ft)

I didn't see any reviews in the index, so I thought I would give some thoughts this evening about my copy of PHANTASM on Super 8 (which happens to be one of my favorite movies of all-time).

STORY SYNOPSIS

*Takes Deep Breath*

So, what we have here is that old classic story of a demonic 7 ft mortician, who can (and this is important) transform into the body of a naked thrill seeking girl to lure unsuspecting horny adventuring young men to their deaths so that he can shrink their bodies and transform them into otherworldly mashed-potato'ed faced goblin slave creatures in another dimension by way of tube-like teleporting device that's guarded by flying metallic spheres that tunnel into the brain of any unwanted intruders until blood shoots out like a deluxe air-pressured super soaker gun.

*Inhales and catches breath*

PRINT

The digest for this film, in my opinion, is quite excellent and superbly edited, getting the story across for the viewer in a competent way through its 17-minute runtime! It really feels like when they were cutting it together, they tried to keep true to the thematic structure of the film. Even more, most of the films most thrilling and famous scenes are in the cut with its original glory to watch with your friends and loved ones.

COLOR/CONTRAST

From what I can tell by talking to other collectors is that most to all copies of this release have turned red over the years since its release and my copy is not above such a fate. While it isn't crimson red, the film as a whole has turned not leaving much color. With that said, it still looks very sharp and easy to watch with (as seen from my last viewing) or without a cyan filter.

SOUND

The sound is magnetic mono and plays loud, clear, and booming through my Elmo ST-1200. I'd wager it would sound excellent with Stereo sound if you felt the urge to re-record it.

This is a lovely digest to a fantastic film and should be welcomed with open arms to a collector and horror fan!

Thank you for reading my thoughts on this excellent film and remember: Don't stare to closely at mirrors.... You never know what might be on the other side.

BOOOOOOY.

Click image for larger version  Name:	y951xkxd1lf0ho7o05przv03qvd6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	50993 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	50992 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	50991

I always loved those "death balls", as I call them. Thanks 4 the review!

Comment

Nice review Lincoln of what was for us a popular title in the 80's. We used to have our horror nights pretty regularly scarring the hell out of each other and this was a popular 400ft. My film is very old now and even warping with age but I also have the Piccolo release which came in 2 parts and seems to have fared a little better over the decades retaining some contrast.

Back then our merry band of film collectors knew the 400ft releases backwards often shouting BOY! You will know it from the movie and what fun times they were.

Nice to see a post about it again.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	piccolo1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	51029

Attached Files

Comment

Wow! What a review, Lincoln.
        Thank You.
        I own the piccolo 2-parter, too, but I think that there are different AND MORE IMPORTANT scenes in Your 400“-version.
        Does anybody know if one could combine the versions (like with „Carrie“?)

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Feld View Post
          Wow! What a review, Lincoln.
          Thank You.
          I own the piccolo 2-parter, too, but I think that there are different AND MORE IMPORTANT scenes in Your 400“-version.
          Does anybody know if one could combine the versions (like with „Carrie“?)
          I'm happy y'all enjoyed my little review! I've been apart of this group for over 2 years without having posted a review, so I thought I'd help earn my keep on the forum!

Comment

I also have a copy with a pale tone, sadly it lacks the initial credits and the box already has its mistreatments.

Name:	IMG_20220106_200809.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	51044

Comment

But hey, the box is already red! Thanks for mentioning the two parter. I thought there was a 2x400ft. The overall story arc was, to me, fairly unique in horror at the time and therefore, more fun to me. It wasn't your typical slasher film, more horror/fantasy!

Comment

My clamshell case has faired quite well through the years, which I imagine is due to it's previous owners taking care of the film! As far as Super 8 catalogues of films, I think this digest is the best you can do without owning the full feature (which as far as I can tell was never released on Super 8 in full).

Comment

I took a picture of the back case of PHANTASM, but realized I never posted it. Just so anyone can see what the front and back of the Derann case looks like:

Name:	0F833B6B-309A-4DA0-961C-4EE9929F4A1C.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	52184

Comment

Sometimes these titles will be printed abroad AND on different film stocks, sometimes better film stocks, (such as the low fade prints of WDHM titles in England on low fade film stocks), so, while I can't verify a low fade edition overseas, I would keep an eye out!

Comment

I held the incorrect view that many of the worlds 8mm films were printed of cheaper fading stocks due to cost of lower fade choice which were more expensive. Although slated I still still believe it was a cost cutting exercise back in el day.

Same applies today. Acetate is still cheaper than Polyester. Fact.

Comment

... and acetate has that terrible yellowish caste to the color, and the danged stuff can snap pretty easy if you're not careful. Yes, the new Kodak is much better!

Comment

Here a 16mm Print

16mm PHANTASM (1978). Uncut theatrical original AVCO Embassy release | eBay

Comment

Working...
                          X