Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8MM Red Print Theater : KING KONG VS. GODZILLA ( 1962 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8MM Red Print Theater : KING KONG VS. GODZILLA ( 1962 )

WELCOME - TO THE NEW 8MM FORUM !

HENCE " 8MM RED PRINT THEATER " !
    ( Name change because we also have RED PRINT THEATER in 16MM ! )
    Hello fellow film fiends !
    This month's selection is …..KING KONG VS. GODZILLA...ON SUPER 8MM !
    The Marketing Films 3-Parter !! In all it's " Faded " , "Red " GLORY !!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KING KONG VS GODZILLA 1962.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	57394
    A UN reporter broadcasts a report on the appearance of a prehistoric monster that emerges from hibernation while a pharmaceutical company seeks publicity with a monster of their own. (US Version)
    (Re-edited US Version) Eric Carter, a reporter for the United Nations, reports on a submarine which collides with an iceberg and frees Godzilla. The news of this soon leads to Mr. Tako, the chairman of a pharmaceutical company, to seek a monster of his own to generate publicity. He sends out an expedition to Faroe Island where they discover the god of the island in the form of King Kong. The giant ape is capture and returned to Japan, upon which it escapes and heads off on a collision course straight towards Godzilla. The two rivals soon clash in a giant climatic battle.

Name:	IMG_8068.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	57395

Name:	IMG_8075.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	57396

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	57397

Name:	IMG_8116.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	57398

Name:	IMG_8117.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	57399

Name:	IMG_8119.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	57400

Name:	IMG_8121.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	57401

Name:	IMG_8124.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	57402

I had enjoyed this movie as a very young child and still enjoy this movie to this day. Bottom line this movie was made in the early 60's so considering this, they did the best they could with the budget and the resources they had in special effects. Perhaps, this may have looked better in stop animation, but that was not Japan's way of making monster movies. This movie marked the return of both King Kong and Godzilla. A movie of this type should be viewed for the sole purpose of enjoyment, granted a lot of elements may have not made a lot of sense [e.g. mammal and Lizards are natural enemies, King Kong and the electricity] but it's all in fun. Enjoy the concept of the two famous monsters battling it out; it's a B movie that is made for fun.

However you can still get the NEW super 8mm 200 foot color / sound digest with the scenes of the emergence of Godzilla and the final battle with Kong on Kodak color polyester - low-fade filmstock ( the above will never happen to your print ).

FUN FACTS :

The unedited original Japanese version of the film remains the highest attended Godzilla film in Japan. It is also one of the most attended films of all time at the Japanese box office as well as the most successful live-action science fantasy film with admission numbers surpassing Hollywood blockbusters such as Star Wars and Avatar. To this day it remains as the 13th most attended film of all time in Japan. The heavily re-edited US version that inserted new actors and deleted several scenes from the original was just as much of a success at the US box-office as well.

In the fight scene, when King Kong throws Godzilla over his shoulder, suit actor Shoichi Hirose didn't throw an empty suit, but actually threw it with Haruo Nakajima still inside as this was Hirose's way of proving he was the stronger of the two. This move was one of the many martial arts influences in the fight choreography since Godzilla suit actor Nakajima practiced Judo and was given the opportunity to choreograph the fight.

When both King Kong and Godzilla crash into the ocean during the film's climax there is a big difference in the power of the Earthquake that occurs between the U.S and Japanese versions. In the Japanese version there really is no "Earthquake" but a slight tremor caused by the two big monsters fighting off of the coast. A few small rocks topple from a hill and a small sapling falls over. In the U.S version there really is an Earthquake and it's far more powerful. Not only does the quake cause the ground to split open swallowing up several houses, but massive tidal waves occur flooding the nearby valleys. Universal-International wanted a big ending and, unsatisfied with the Japanese version's small tremor, used stock footage of a violent Earthquake from the Toho film THE MYSTERIANS (1957) to add to the U.S cut of the film.

Dave, totally awesome review of a film you obviously love. Yep, so red that the jungle is red! Actually it's making me rethink my one and only red optical sound print, " They Kill they're Masters", 1971.

Comment

There's a print of either part 1 or 2 of this on eBay, but sadly, the colors are the same, such as it is.

Comment

Thanks Osi , YOU should do a " Red Print Theater " on your film mentioned above .

Comment

I have thought about that, bit I am not sure if it qualifies as, while it has lost a lot of color, it's not technically a red print.

Comment

I think ANY print that is faded would " qualify " . I did a RED PRINT THEATER on super 8mm washed - out , almost sepia-tone JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS print in the past . You should do it ; I always encourage other members to write one - this is not " specifically " to me . I love to share and I hope others will too .

Comment

Working...
            X