The Turning Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Turning Point

The world of ballet and ballet performance is the backdrop to this story of old friends and rivals reuniting..... and igniting old hang ups.

Emma (Anne Bancroft) and Deedee (Shirley MacLaine) were professional ballet dancers in their early years, working and performing together to promote and advance their careers. Deedee then decided to leave that world behind her to concentrate on her marriage, being a house-wife and mother. Emma, however, stayed with ballet and prospered.
    Now, many years later, they meet each other again and, for a while, everything is fine..... but, as time goes on, Deedee's resentment of Emma's success and her own decision to leave ballet finally comes to a head with a huge confrontation between the two in an empty car park, in which angry slaps and general pushing and shoving is exchanged between the two women, until finally they run out of steam, see the funny side of it, and the atmosphere changes from hostile to a respectful embrace. On top of this, Deedee's daughter Emilia (Leslie Brown) is in the middle of a romantic encounter with the ballet's leading man, Yuri, played by real life ballet star Mikhail Baryshnikov, which is a fine excuse for some superb ballet sequences that are interspersed with the storyline.

This film, directed by Herbert Ross, is 1 x 400' film released by Ken films (F-53).

My copy of this one is very clear with hardly a scratch on it. What I can't decide is, how much fade there is on it. The reason is that, viewing the film on its own merit, my copy appears to have rather muted colours with a very slight pinky brown hue to it. However, looking at the clamshell box it comes in, which is in very good / excellent condition, all the photographs show the same degree of hue and, quite honestly, I don't believe it is fade.... its just the way it was made.

I am not particularly fond of ballet, but the sequences in this rather good edit are a joy to see and would universally recommend it.

Good sound too !

I must admit that I haven't screened my copy for a long time now so can't comment on the colour, but thanks for reminding me that I have it and propting me to re-watch.

Comment

Working...
    X