Those old silent digests - The Blob (Republic Pictures) 200' & 50'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those old silent digests - The Blob (Republic Pictures) 200' & 50'

So much of the film collecting hobby has to do with nostalgia. I started at age 12 and really loved getting the cutdowns put out by Americom, Atlas, Castle, Columbia, Disney and most of all, Ken Films. I didn't have a sound projector at that time and had not yet discovered that there were distributors overseas who were also releasing films. I thought it might be fun to revisit those silent digests that figured so prominently in my childhood, starting with the Republic Pictures cutdown of the 1958 Jack H. Harris production of The Blob. Republic's releases (along with UA-8) were later taken over by Ken Films, however Ken never changed the cover art and they kept Republic's name on the box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Blob clean cover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	73198

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB Title.png Views:	0 Size:	975.9 KB ID:	73199

200 foot version:

After their homemade “The Blob” title, Republic uses the “Starring Steven McQueen” credit from the feature. We then have a full screen graphic that allows them to pick up the action an hour into the film.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	73200

The problem with this title card is that the names of the characters are actually Jane and Steve.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB3.png Views:	0 Size:	919.5 KB ID:	73201

The first shot we see is the Blob oozing under the door of a market’s refrigerated meat locker. Steve and Jane are scared, however the Blob reverses direction. They cautiously open the door and seeing no sign of the monster, they run out of the store. “They escape, but meanwhile at a theatre nearby….”

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB4.png Views:	0 Size:	852.0 KB ID:	73202

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB5.png Views:	0 Size:	887.2 KB ID:	73203

The audience at the Colonial movie theatre is enjoying Daughter of Horror. The projectionist is about to perform a changeover when the Blob comes through the vent and engulfs him. The reel runs out and so does the audience when the Blob makes its way through the projection ports. The Blob (having grown much bigger) is now out on the street.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	73204

Jane’s kid brother Danny runs out and shoots his toy gun at the gelatinous creature. Since that has very little effect, he wisely throws the gun at it and runs into a nearby diner. Steve and Jane follow him in. Soon they are trapped inside along with the owner and a waitress, as the Blob is now big enough to cover the entire diner. Talking to the police on the phone, Steve is told “We’re going to try to electrocute the monster!!”. They take shelter in the basement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB7.png Views:	0 Size:	852.9 KB ID:	73205

The police shoot an overhead power line that lands on the Blob, but the current has no affect. It does start a fire in the basement, so the owner uses a CO₂ fire extinguisher. Steve notices that the Blob backs away, observing ”That cold spray stops the Blob!!”.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	TB8.png Views:	0 Size:	901.1 KB ID:	73206

Steve relays this info to the police, and soon both firemen and high school kids are spraying the Blob, ultimately freezing it. Everyone from the diner is able to escape. The police lieutenant tells Steve “It’s dead. We’re safe now.” Cut to the Blob being air dropped in the Arctic (not explained by the digest). We finish with “The End” turning into a question mark.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TB9.png Views:	0 Size:	835.9 KB ID:	73207

This is a decently edited 200 footer. We don’t get to see the beginning parts of the film, but you can’t have everything in 8 minutes (at 24fps). The memorable scenes are all here. I’ve seen a few prints of this title and unfortunately they all seem to have poor contrast and are slightly soft.

50 foot version:

This shorter edit starts off the same way as its bigger brother: Title, explanatory graphic, meat locker, movie theater. Right after the Blob exits the theater, we cut to firemen and students arriving with fire extinguishers and spraying the creature.
    Steve’s and Jane’s parents come rushing up as the couple exits the diner. Republic then interestingly uses the “It’s dead. We’re safe now.” subtitle here as if it’s being spoken by the parents as opposed to the police lieutenant saying it in the longer version. Not a bad little “headline” edition.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TB10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	73208

Adding sound:

I’ve striped many of these silents and added sync sound. The Blob is a fairly straight forward audio edit. The beginning titles and that explanatory graphic kindly allow for the use of 25 seconds of the catchy title song by Burt Bacharach & Mack David. The scenes aren’t badly chopped up, and two sequences (the Blob pouring out of the movie theatre and then trapping people in the diner, the discovery of the usefulness of CO₂ extinguishers) have no cuts at all which makes it easier to sync up. Near the end, over a shot of the Blob being frozen, I added the lieutenant’s audio where he explains the Air Force’s Arctic plans for the creature, which now clarifies that final shot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Republic Blob.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	73210

The Blob is an enjoyable cutdown and well worth the $5.95 I paid for it at the time!

Dave, was this ever released in color and sound?

Comment

Osi,

Unfortunately, no. And stop calling me Dave!😏

Comment

Dave's not here man.

Just for grins, I went to Youtube and did a search on "8mm digest or extract" (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...est+or+extract) and found a few old Castle films that have been uploaded. Here is one of the playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1_9_Qf7rM_MHYf

Comment

Oops, pardon that, Doug! I wonder if it was ever released overseas in color and sound. It was actually a pretty good low budget film! I'll always remember that first person, finding the blob, but being the odd Lil fellow, I was rooting for the blob!

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing a color/sound cutdown of this from any distributor.

A 16mm print of The Blob was the Friday Night Feature at CineSea 20. It was a gorgeous print and it does look spectacular in color. I had seen the film many times, however at this screening I noticed something new. About halfway through the feature there's a nighttime dialogue scene between Steve McQueen and Aneta Corsaut. During this scene I saw smoke rising from behind McQueen, as if there was a small fire burning near his feet. I later came across this bit of trivia on IMDB: Steve McQueen constantly smoked cigarettes during filming even though he is never shown smoking in the movie. At about 49 minutes into the movie you will notice smoke coming up behind Steve. That's because he is holding a lit cigarette behind him with his hand behind his back!

CineSea 20

"Sorry about the smoke, my foot is on fire!"

Comment

I've seen a number of Doug's dubbed silents at CineSea. Not only are they meticulously done, they are also a lot of fun! It turns out that the silent film intertitles are often not the words the actor is speaking on the soundtrack, but what the producers of the 8mm films felt would move the story forward better.

-the moments when these mismatches come are usually good for a laugh!

I like them because they take these old reels of film and make them much more interesting.

Comment

Hey DAVE! The Blob! 600ft digest! I betcha Doug and a lot of others will buy!

Comment

Doug, you are so right about the nostalgia.

My first super 8 movies were both 200ft B&W silents. Portland films here in the UK (also known as Mountain films) were advertising the 200ft B&W silent Star Wars in the newspaper to order by post. Back in 1978 and aged 7, this was HUGE!

I'd also at the time persuaded my uncle to loan me his standard 8 cine camera and dual gauge projector to try and make my own sci-fi movies in the garden.

So that Christmas, the two 200 footers arrived. The first was Disney's Goofy's Glider. Complete, albeit without colour or sound, this was a great print of a classic. As a result of this being projected over an over again on the kitchen door (it was white!) it has remained a favorite ever since. I still also have my "replacement" colour / sound version from Derann, which came many years later.

The second film was unusual. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers. A classic of course, but I didn't know the film at the time. Turns out that Portland were constantly sold out of Star Wars, so would send out alternative titles. Well, they did us a favor really, as this one also turned out to be a great print and edit of this effects laden and slightly scary movie (the aliens really gave 7 year old me the creeps!) Again, it was shown over and over on that white kitchen door.

This version had quite a few "talking" scenes but no sub-titles. It never bothered me as I didn't know any better, but ever curious, I did peel off the "silent" sticker on the front of the box to disclose "sound version" printed on the box below. Again a huge wow moment...you can get this with SOUND on it!!

Great box art on this one too, which was unusual from Portland as many came in generic boxes. Still have this one as well.

The next time I ordered Star Wars, the same thing happened. This time it was 20 Million Miles to Earth. Again, I had no idea about the movie and was again disappointed that it wasn't Star Wars, I remember my sister insisting I sent it back as it wasn't what I ordered, but what she failed to understand was that I was holding a reel of film that just HAD to be opened and watched, whatever it was!

Of course, it was another classic and I'm forever grateful to Portland for inadvertently introducing me to the Ray Harryhausen 50's sci-fi movies with those now treasured super 8 B&W silent 200 footers...and thus began a lifetime of super 8.

Comment

Rob,

What a great story. I certainly hope Star Wars was the next arrival! Whenever I thread up one of those silents from that period, I can't help but think of that wonderfully exciting and fun period of my life.

Comment

There's a Perry's Movies trailer release with a colour trailer of 'The Blob', although it has a brownish look and so you won't see a lot of colour if you find it!

Comment

Doug, it wasn't! The next replacement title was When Worlds Collide. Again, a great little B&W silent edit that tells the whole story and again, I found those scenes of destruction quite scary (even though I was 8 by then!). Another life long favorite established on that kitchen door, with different colour sound versions to follow in later years. In fact I just watched the blu-ray at Christmas (on a real screen this time 😆).

I finally bought Star Wars as the 400 footer in colour / sound when I discovered a local Aladdin's cave movie shop.

Actually, when I did finally see the 200ft version many years later, I think Portland really did me a favor, as I don't think it would have been too good to watch Luke and Ben talking for 5 minutes in B&W silent, followed by a few minutes of tie-fighter action!

So thank you Portland for those "replacement" sci-fi gems...😉

You are so right about the excitement factor. I remember my first 200ft colour silent. Disney's The Aristocats. The pictures in colour! In COLOUR!!

Comment

This reminds me of a few early 8mm's, a 50ft of "Battle in Outer Space" (Japanese space epic, horrible but of interest to an impressionable 10 year old, and the creme ala creme ... A standard 8 silent of "The Deadly Mantis". Now, that one was impressive to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                            Hey DAVE! The Blob! 600ft digest! I betcha Doug and a lot of others will buy!
                            Positive thought but unfortunately only a handful of 8mm enthusiasts seem willing to shell out $375 or so for a NEW 600ft 30 minute digest. The more that have interest then the price could be lowered ! A kickstarter campaign would be the way to go I think Probably more affordable and doable would be a 400ft digest. Just my opinion....

Comment

Working...
                            X