Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Wolf Super 8mm Feature "EL CID"

Lone Wolf Super 8mm Feature "EL CID"

With the launch of the new format of our FORUM I thought I would include a review of this remarkable achievement in Super 8mm. This is the print review category so I thought I would let the included screen captures do the talking ( with a few comments of mine thrown in ). These shots were taken using a smartphone with 16 pixel camera, so they do not do the print justice, but it is all I have. For this presentation the screen is 7 ft. wide, the projector used was the Elmo GS 1200 with Elmoscope anamorphic lens. Without a doubt the finest release on super 8mm I have ever seen...

As always, great screen shots and an immaculate image. You do have some great features in your collection.

Comment

What a stunning looking print, pin sharp with amazing contrast and beautiful saturated color. Hard to believe it's super 8mm. Too bad all S8 prints were not this good. I would say my scope print of Grease comes close to Burton's El Cid print but the color , although excellent, is not quite as rich.

Comment

I have this print also and it is just excellent.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I Forgot to mention it is an Eastman LPP print with a date code 1989. Larry, I am curious if you know what this print sold for in initial release? Also in the stormy night scene where Sancho is attacked, does your print have some scenes with flaring? mine does and I wondered if it was in the master print or a lab issue. I would be interested to know.

Comment

More Shots to come from second screening soon...

Comment

What a nice print Burton. I second Pauls's comment, "I wish all S8 titles looked this good"

Comment

I'm sure Trevor at Lone Wolf said this came from Rank's existing 16mm negative. I only have a couple of reels, test prints bought at a BFCC. From the flyer for the The Fall of the Roman Empire it states it was £425.

Comment

I agree, fantastic print quality. Been looking for a reel 6 for years! Had Derann print me up a replacement reel one many years ago.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID D.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1589Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID E.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1590Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID F.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1591Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID G.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1592Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID H.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1593Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID I.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1594Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID C.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1588Click image for larger version

Name:	EL CID A.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1587

...More shots from the first half of the film. Thanks Brian for the History and pricing. What quality from a 16mm master! A superb Scope presentation!

Comment

I also believe this print is longer than any other including the 70mm prints that exist. At least that's what Trevor said when at the showing at the NFT many years ago.

Comment

Burton-I viewed the part where Sancho is killed and there are no flares on my print. It could be just your print.

Comment

I've got this one as well and agree with everything said here previously however I will add to it my print of titanic that I just got last month Is as good perhaps better than El Cid those of you who have a print of titanic what do you think by James Cameron

Comment

It's great when Super 8 has such an authentic 'theatrical' look. If the master was Rank's 16mm negative, that's a very different matter to the inferior results that would come from using a 16mm print. I'd imagine that a good 16mm negative would generally offer better results than a 35mm print, which can be good but would cause a higher contrast look.

Another factor with the Lone Wolf prints - but not Derann's later reprints - was that they were produced while Buck Labs could still offer Super 8 printing. Some of their work at this time was outstanding, such the initial batches of Derann's 'Predator'.

Comment

Working...
                            X