Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Great edit from Walton Films the color is still pretty good I hadn’t watched it in years and forgot it’s not complete sir Lancelot was trying to escape on the rope when he asks for a push then it fades out “the end” got a lot of great scenes with graham chapman and bridge keeper battle. The witch scene “ burn her” Was hoping to see the rabbit scene which would’ve been in reel 3-4 even though it’s not complete try to find this Copy it’s still funny.

The colour is good but the definition is a little low and grain rather high compare with other Walton releases at that time. Perhaps the master material was not as good.

Comment

I could be wrong, but wasn't this a fairly grainey film to begin with? What was this originally shot on? 16mm or 35mm? Even the DVD special edition, which I still have, has a fairly grainey look.

Comment

I doubt the review would have know what it was originated on, but perhaps Walton were working from a 16mm print not a 35mm one

Comment

Thanks for the review Jim! Most prints seem to have good color with a little brown shift. All other colors are present. The theatrical release was a bit grainy too but that was probably for effect to set the mood. You are right. A funny digest from a group of brilliant English comedians!

Comment

My part one is on Fuji but part two I have put down as Eastman. As I did that a long while ago and haven't watched it recently I can't say if it is faded.

Comment

I was told years ago and I don't know if it was true or not, that the British film industry went through a period from the late 70s through 80s, where this was common practice to shot fims directly onto reversal stock. This was in order to save money on the daily rushes. Holy grail was one of the film to suffer this, it has allways looked grainy even on 35mm.
              I think it is a shame that even the two great Willy Russell films, Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine both suffered this fate as well.
              The same goes for Chariots of fire, Wish you were here and An american werewolf in london, They all have this gritty grainy look to them that obviously can never be rectified.
              I would love to know what happened during this period, otherwise why do all of these films have this look to them, something was changed.

Comment

Actually, American Werewollf In London was fully restored in 2016 and this version is available on the excellent Canadian blu ray . All the aforementioned grain was removed , and the quality is stunning . I think the Uk version is the same old one from 2010 . I

Comment

I have always looked more at Jenny Agutter in American Werewolf than the grain. So couldn't say.

Comment

She was never prettier to me than in Logan's Run! Off topic, but Rarrr!

Comment

Working...
                    X