No announcement yet.

Those old silent digests - The Thing from Another World (Ken Films) 200' & 50'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those old silent digests - The Thing from Another World (Ken Films) 200' & 50'

The Ken Films cutdown of this 1951 thriller is a well done and satisfying digest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing cover - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.0 KB ID:	81919

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	81920

200 foot version:

We start with the original title, cutting out before “From Another World” dissolves in. The first scene here is from 26 minutes into the feature. At a North Pole outpost, a transport plane lands and its cargo is unloaded.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Group 1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	38.3 KB ID:	81935

Click image for larger version  Name:	new group 1-5.jpg Views:	3 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	81934

A large block of ice is brought into the research facility. A figure can be glimpsed in the ice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	81922

That evening, the person standing guard turns around to discover that the ice has melted and what was inside is coming towards him! He fires a few shots and runs out to get help. Captain Hendry (Kenneth Tobey) arrives with the rest of his crew to investigate. The melted ice block shows the outline of a large….thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	81945

In another part of the outpost, the crew is anticipating an attack by the creature. They use a Geiger counter to gauge its distance. The door is flung open, they douse the creature in kerosene and use a flare gun to set it on fire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	81924

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	81926

The monster continues to attack, finally jumping out a window into a snow drift. A subtitle explains that “He’s gone to the back”.

Click image for larger version  Name:	new group 6a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.3 KB ID:	81942

This allows the digest to jump to a scene that actually occurs earlier in the feature(!) where the Thing tries to enter through the greenhouse door. They fight it off and barricade the entrance. Going out of sequence cleverly sets up the climax which occurs in the same location.

They plan on wiring the walkway to electrocute the monster. Scotty, a journalist, plans on getting a picture of the action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	81928

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	81929

The Thing breaks through the barricade, but right before they can throw the switch, one of the scientists kills the power. He attempts to communicate with the big guy, who finds him annoying and strikes him down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	81930

The power now restored, they maneuver the Thing back onto the wired walkway and electrocute the creature. Sadly, Scotty never gets his picture. He faints.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	81931

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	81932

Ken uses the film’s original “The End” title which then dissolves to the RKO Radio Pictures logo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thing group 12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	81933

With a running time of 8 minutes at 24fps, this cutdown has all of James Arness’ scenes as the Thing, except for the brief battle with the sled dogs. Ken also nicely uses a couple of exterior shots as cutaways to smooth out connecting separate scenes. It’s clear that some thought went into the edit for this one. The print is sharp with good contrast.

50 foot version:

This starts with a shorter cut of the opening plane sequence, then goes to the ice block being brought inside. It continues with the same edit as the 200 footer, ending right after the burning creature escapes out the window.

Adding sound:

Although The Thing is a nicely edited silent digest, it greatly benefits from the addition of sound. Dimitri Tiomkin’s tension filled score is amazing. Ken provides plenty of subtitles, however there’s an awful lot of exposition missing.
    The beginning part syncs up easily, with only three edits in the first two minutes. I put the line “Mac, you stay here” over the shot of the creature in the ice block, since that leads into the rest of the crew leaving. There are nice long sequences after the ice melts, so there’s nothing difficult there. In the scene where they discuss the possibility of using electricity on the monster, it’s interesting to see that the subtitles have nothing to do with what’s actually being said!
    The last four minutes of the digest has no edits, making it very straightforward to sync up. I used a shortened version of Scotty’s soliloquy over the last shot of the digest.

"Every one of you listening to my voice, tell the world, tell this to everybody wherever they are. Watch the skies. Everywhere. Keep looking. Keep watching the skies."

Very good review Doug! You apparently love this film. This is one of the few times that I prefer the remake (1982) over the original.

Comment

I do like this film (I also have the feature on Super 8mm), however I consider John Carpenter's film to be a totally separate entity. By discarding the shapeshifting aspect and the resulting paranoia of Joseph Campbell's novella, the 1951 film is a basic but effective "group vs. monster" type of movie. Carpenter and screenwriter Bill Lancaster (son of Burt) created a much fuller, claustrophobic tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
        I do like this film (I also have the feature on Super 8mm), however I consider John Carpenter's film to be a totally separate entity. By discarding the shapeshifting aspect and the resulting paranoia of Joseph Campbell's novella, the 1951 film is a basic but effective "group vs. monster" type of movie. Carpenter and screenwriter Bill Lancaster (son of Burt) created a much fuller, claustrophobic tale.
        And Carpenter paid homage to the original by using footage from the film in the “Norwegian base” records, as I recall!

Comment

I believe he also showed titles sequence of the original on TV during the baby sitting scenes in Halloween.

Comment

With Kenneth Tobey around, the creature did'nt stand a chance!

Comment

The original was definitely a step or two above most other humans vs monster/ alien films. It also had the plus of being the first film where the villian is a giant, alien veggie!

Comment

A killer carrot!

Comment

There is an online discussion of this film sponsored by Scarecrow Video Saturday, June 10th, 2pm PST. Registration is required (at https://www.whatcomtalk.com/event/sc...er-world-1951/).
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingSaucerCinema-ThingFromAnotherWorld.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	82286

Scientists at an Arctic research station discover a spacecraft buried in the ice. Upon closer examination, they discover the frozen pilot. All hell breaks loose when they take him back to their station and he is accidentally thawed out! Based on the short story “Who Goes There?” by Joseph Campbell, this highly regarded classic by one of Hollywood’s greatest directors set the standard for decades. In 1982 it was remade by John Carpenter into a modern masterpiece – simply as The Thing – worthy of the original.

Comment

Ed,

Thank you for posting this. I joined in and it was an interesting discussion. Being in Seattle, have you ever attended the Flying Saucer Cinema class?

Comment

What a great review!!! Thank You!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                        Ed,

Thank you for posting this. I joined in and it was an interesting discussion. Being in Seattle, have you ever attended the Flying Saucer Cinema class?
                        Doug, I glad to hear your were able to participate in the event. Sadly, I have not attended the any of the other events even though I have been a member of Scarecrow Video for years now. A local film critic, Robert Horton also hosts interesting events sponsored by Scarecrow. Covid shutdown a lot of activities unfortunately...

If I find any other interesting events in the Scarecrow newsletter, I will make a it a point to post the event announcement on here.

Comment

Oliver & Ed,

Thank you both!

Comment

Doug, that looks like quite a good black and white print. Both versions are good, but for me the original black and white one had the edge. The music, the look, the photography. There is an incredible feeling of strangeness about the whole thing. It is a class act.

The later version has the shock moments but not the dramatic black and white photography. Did Universal ever issue a 400’ version in sound?

Comment

Phil,

Universal never put one out and as far as I know, there are no sound cutdowns of any of the three versions. The third movie was released in 2011 and is actually a prequel to the John Carpenter film.

Comment

Working...
                              X