SOUND MONO (single stripe)
    LETTERBOX
    RUNNING TIME OVER 10 minutes

Click image for larger version

Name:	SW2box.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	84425

Here is the latest release from DORUN films and features 3 items and comes to you on a near full 200ft reel in a lovely box. The aim of DORUN films of course was to bring back the good old days days of Derann where films came supplied with printed artwork box. So what is on this reel.....

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 – ODEON INTRO (2019)
    A wonderful opening to any Super 8 show. Mainly features Max the Jack Russell Terrier as he makes his way to the cinema seat. The intro fades out when the title card of the feature is shown.

TERMINATOR 2 - 3D TRAILER RELEASE (2017)
    Excellent trailer this, naturally it’s not in 3D of course, but great to have another trailer to one of the best 90’s films. Top notch picture and sound. Pin sharp and the colours are excellent, very strong blues and oranges, show’s how good this Kodak stock is. Content is also great, background music adds to the suspense and love the line when John asks Arnie why he just kills people to which he replies “Why, I’m a Terminator”. Arnie also says “Hasta la vista, baby” and “I’ll be back” for good measure. A brilliant trailer to show on super 8.

CHRISTOPHER LEE Vs YODA – Star Wars 2 (2002)
    The main event, nice extract from Star Wars 2 – Attack of the Clones. Starts with the 20th century fox logo, Lucasfilm logo, A galaxy far far away then the Star Wars title disappearing in the distance. We then jump to Yoda on the Republic Gunship. This clip features the full battle of Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) with Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda. I believe Lee, who was 78 at the time, performed some of this himself just relying on a stunt double for the most demanding shots with Lee’s face superimposed over the stuntman. Fantastic to see this on the big screen. For the best watch, crank your zoom lens as big as you want to go and enjoy that big screen experience at home. Again excellent picture and sound. Colours possibly a little muted but this whole movie was shot on Digital I believe and is the look they wanted.

Another winner from DORUN films. Well done. Please ignore any recent reports of some poor quality film printed in Italy. This has been printed in Germany by the usual lab and is of top notch quality with no hint of any pixilation on the screen. Stripe and recording is also of excellent quality. Highly recommended. A limited release but I believe there may still be some copies for sale. Contact DORUN films for availability and pricing.

PICTURE 10/10
    SOUND 10/10
    ENTERTAINMENT 11/10

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	84440 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	84431 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	84434 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	84430 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	84441 Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	84435 Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	84436 Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	84442 Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	84433 Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	84437 Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	84438 Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	84432 Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	84439
    Attached Files

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	84445 Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	84451 Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	84446 Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	84448 Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	84449 Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	84447 Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	84450

Sorry for the poor screenshots, my phone camera is not that good.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice screenshots considering what you were working with, photography wise. Anything with Christopher Lee was always worth watching. I was so proud of Lee who, in his late 70's, had both great film franchises in his back pocket, Star Wars AND Lord of the Rings!

Comment

Let me say right off the bat that I am not trying to discredit in any way the new release prints, but I do question why the color is so different from older Derann prints. The Derran prints are usually very saturated with color with deep reds, blues, and greens. But these new prints, at least to me, look much different with no real reds or real blues. You can see it in the screen shots, the pictures look like pastel coloring, reds are pink, blue is turquoise, skin tones are brown, and green is nowhere to be found. What is going on here?

Comment

I think it's more to do with how modern films are. We shouldn't really compare these with those Derann prints of old MGM Technicolor musicals with heavily saturated colours. Good example, have a look at the DVD of the opening sequence of Die Another Day then look at the Super 8 and there is not much difference.

Graham S

Comment

However I do agree that the German Lab struggles to get the deep reds of old. A good example is the Super 8 of Tokyo Mater Cars in which the red looks more like an orange when comparing it on tv, but still a glorious print which I love projecting.

Graham S

Comment

I also would love to know exactly what film stock these prints are printed on. They look like they are printed on EKTACHROME 7294 stock. As there seems to be a strong bias to cian, as it was originally formulated for daylight correction for the U.S. market, and never meant to be used as a printer dupe film. This is also the only colour reversal stock that is available on super 8, the other is kodak vision color print 2383 which is only available in 35/70mm, so it would need to be re-perforated and slit down to 8mm producing so much waste.
              Can someone please tell us.

Steve

Comment

The previous comments do have a point. I do remember that Terminator 2 was a very bluish feature film, overall, even on the deluxe DVD that I have, so I am not surprised to see a bluish caste to "Dah Ahhnold"! Still you can't fault the man's passion for super 8!
                Last edited by Osi Osgood; July 24, 2023, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I have been a collector of features mainly, but there is controversy about these new releases and digests that have become a topic of its own. Great image. Now complaints. Great sound: For mono laminate stripe. I suggest stop critising the the medium you voted for.

Comment

Well said Burton. I have no problem whatsoever in these new digests. Just watching them on Super 8 gives me the greatest pleasure.

Graham S

Comment

It's all subjective. I'm absolutely fine with the look of the new releases. A little more overall saturation would be nice (unless that strays from the intended visual style of the film), but I've projected a number of these on an 8'x12' screen and I find them to be outstanding.

Steve, Andec uses Kodak Vision Color Print Film 3383.

Comment

Ahhh! When I did my"Saturday morning Madness" release, years ago, they were just in the process of switching from the yellowish acetate and to the new Kodak Vision film stock. I had my release printed on both the acetate and Vision, and I must say that there was a stark difference between the two. Kodak Vision won out, hands down! I don't know how many prints were struck on the Vision stock, bit I am glad to have one of both.

Comment

Impressive pictures to me. Looks like a great release!

Comment

What I meant to say is that these new releases have a market: those who choose them and don't mind that they come from a digital source, single track laminate stripe therefore Mono soundtrack. I prefer features released back in the day from 35mm master with 2 magnetic stripes, in stereo! My preference of course.

Comment

On the tail of the film it looks like there is an image of Donald Trump. Didn't know he worked for Kodak! 😁

Name:	DONALD TRUMP.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	84673

Comment

Working...
                              X