Claire de Lune - unused sequence from Fantasia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire de Lune - unused sequence from Fantasia

I recently acquired a print of this film and decided to revue it. It is a film that I remember Derann Films importing way back a few being on sale at an open day. It is quite a rare print now the first time I have seen a print on a second hand list. The print appears to be mounted on a 100’ reel though it may be slightly larger. Examining the print it physically appeared to be in good condition. The sequence is complete and uncut.

Upon projection I was surprised by the amount of damage to the negative that was used, there are many instances of white marks etc that come and go over the six minutes which is a great shame. That aside the print is sharp with good colour and the sound was fine as well.

The sequence is a dreamy, relaxing one in which two storks wade in the water of the Florida Everglades and eventually fly away together in the direction of the moon.

This film was considered lost until a work print was located in 1992 and restored by Disney. This clearly does not come from that source. Before the film begins there is a sequence of rolling titles that explain what the piece is and how rare it has become. These resemble the titles that front many of the 200’ Disney excerpts with yellow lettering over a green background.
    It is a shame that the source wasn’t in better condition as the piece is beautiful.

I acquired my print from Classic Home Cinema, and being so hard to obtain was surprised that they had just received another in from a collector so there is one available.

I intend to edit into my Fantasia sequences possible between Rite of Spring and meet the soundtrack. I think that despite the wear it will be a film I will treasure.

Print B. Sound A/B

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6452.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	84782

Attached Files

Have this, quite pretty and thank you for your review

Comment

Osi, thank you for your response it is appreciated. I had hoped it might have generated more interest being rare. Maybe it will over time.

Comment

I just watched the Clair de Lune segment on YouTube. Phil, this is a wonderful sequence.

I only have two Fantasia sections, however if/when I'm lucky enough to get more, I think I will keep them separate so I can watch a particular one when I want.

Comment

I only have a few as well, but I would like to find that low fade "Sorcerers Apprentice" someday!

Comment

Fond memories of this back in el day.
            I rented is from a film library, then later purchased a print. It was mono but worth Stereo dubbing for max effect which I did then from a clasdical cassette. Still have it, colour is solid.

Comment

Yeah, the neat thing about a sequence like this, sync isn't absolutely important.

Comment

Working...
              X