Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional HDR Scanning - 8mm Forum Member exclusive discount

Hello to all members of the 8mm Forum,

For the month of June 2020 only, we are extending our professional scanning services to all members of the 8mm Forum who were registered prior to this announcement with a very special discount.

= = = = =

The specifics:

The films will be scanned on our new Lasergraphics Scanstation 6.5K HDR system. (You can read about it here.) This is the absolute best scanner that exists for 8mm, and ours is the Pro version, not the personal, with the upgraded 6.5K camera and HDR (High Dynamic Range) scanning ability.

All films will be professionally cleaned on our upgraded ultrasonic cleaning machines running perchloroethylene. These units were originally built by Lipsner-Smith, and while Lipsner-Smith's ultrasonic cleaners have always been the lab standard for film cleaning, we have redesigned and upgraded these systems with improved buffing, our own custom automation and various other improvements. The end results are superior to anything possible before in any Lipsner-Smith cleaning machine.

The scans may be cropped to the image (like a projector would) or we can provide them as an "overscan/open gate" scan (you would see past the image area, perforations, etc).

The output file will be in the file format of your choice. (Most people want H264 or one of the various Prores options.) There will be one output file per reel.

The scanned files may be downloaded via FTP at no charge (assuming they total under 100GB) or we can quote you a suitable hard drive/flash drive to load them onto for return with your films.

Please note for 8mm these scans will be silent. We can transfer Super 8mm magnetic sound, but we are not offering it as a part of this promotion. For 16mm mag or 16mm/35mm optical sound the audio will be included at no extra charge.

= = = = =

The requirements:

Your films must be in good condition for cleaning and scanning. If you don't have the means to check and perform any needed repairs to your films before sending them, we can still accept them, but we will need to quote you for our additional time needed separately.

Please make sure each reel of film has a minimum of 15 feet of head and a minimum of 15 feet of tail leader. This is needed in order to thread the cleaning and scanning systems. (If you don't have extra leader you can splice on for this purpose, check with me on the number of reels you need to scan and we can likely splice some leader on temporarily while the film is in our possession for cleaning and scanning, but if you do have extra leader, please DO splice it on before sending.)

Please do not send in a huge box of 3-inch diameter 50 foot reels. The time it takes to setup each reel greatly increases our overhead, so for this promotion please make sure to assemble small reels onto larger reels. We can handle reels up to 2000 feet, so the larger reel possible the better, but really anything from 5-inch 400 foot reels up to 15-inch 2000 foot reels is ideal. If you don't have the means to assemble onto larger reels, let me know via email how many small 50 foot reels you have and we can figure something out to take care of you.

All films will be returned via FedEx or UPS. (USPS is not an option for return of your films, but you may ship the films to us via USPS.) If you are overseas and we cannot return ship to you via FedEx or UPS for whatever reason, we may ask you to arrange return shipping. (For example many overseas people have DHL accounts and can setup a pickup at our facility on their account. We can provide the final box sizing and weight for this.)

= = = = =

I realize a lot of people here are into the hobby or challenge of do-it-yourself scanning, but if anyone here has films important enough to them to extract every bit of quality from for a truly archival quality scan, there is no better option available at any price.

Speaking of pricing, please feel free to price-shop us (even without this one time discount in June). I believe you will be extremely satisfied with the pricing and the quality.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at bmiller@film-tech.com You can also reply here, but I may not be able to answer as quickly as email.

Please download the promotional price sheet here and remember to take 25% off of these prices for the month of June 2020!

Hi Brad, couple of questions:

Any extra charge if I'd like a 5K overscan output to ProRes 4444 for 8mm?

Is the direct overscan option edge-to-edge? I've had samples from other ScanStations which are capable of scanning the entire full width of 8mm.
    Last edited by Iman Yahya; May 25, 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Iman,

No extra charge for the ProRes 4444 codec. Please be sure to note if you want Prores 4444 or Prores 4444HQ though on the form.

The overscan option can be either the ENTIRE film, or it can be framed such that it shows a bit past all 4 extreme edges of the image (to keep the file size down instead of capturing the entire sprocket). Just note that you want a full open gate overscan on the form. If there are any concerns we typically scan 5-10 seconds worth and have you download it to look at it before we proceed with the entire order.

Comment

Noted Brad, thank you for the speedy reply.

Sounds great. I'm based overseas at the moment (in Malaysia) so hoping if I ship a 200 ft reel this weekend, it'll reach you in time to take advantage of the discount.

Will e-mail the form when ready. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X