Filmscanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filmscanner

Well, i probably mentioned iy earlier, but i have this project going on....
    I have a 16mm Bauer projector i am thinking to make a scanner, frame by frame. But, i have some challenges. Lets start with this:
    Is it difficult to make this work with both 8mm/s8mm and 16mm? I have a ximea XiQ camera i cam zoom the picture from software. But i could probably use a lens to make the picture fit in the camera. But the rest: Gates etc, is it possible to, lets say make something swappable, so it fits all these formats mentioned?

I wil lalso need a trigger and counter. In the scanner i already have there is 2 pieces Tcst 1103 and 2pc V69 427, and some wheels, one with one hole, and one wheel with i tj\hink 10 holes. The last i guess is for the counter, and the first both for number of pictures, but also for trigging the camera and counter.
    I think something like this should be very usefull, but is this stock, or do i have to order and build it? Anyone knows?

And if i want to put sound to this, i know its both optical and magnetic sound, but i have another scanner i want to put together and have backup, but this only for 8mm/S8mm. But what about the soundhead...Is there any mathematics where this should be in the scanner, compared to the pictures? ANd is there some universal head and an amplifier or somthing i can get the sound to my PC with?

Camera i mentioned i have, lens will soon be cleared. I also have a LED, maybe i will swap this i'll see. And motor and psu i also have. But these things are things i am thinking about right now. Any ideas? I know, its a huge project, but o know the princips, the basics, but i need to get the right parts....

Does that projector support 8/S8 film Jon? I thought that there was a swappable module for that but not sure.

Comment

Ok, the first pic is a 16mm-projector i am thinking rebuild. The other 2 is my excisting scanner, and that is for both 8 and S8mm. The sprockets are common and fits both.
      I just have to switch one knob on the gate when i change film

Comment

So the ultimate goal is to have one machine to do all 3 formats? Very ambitious project unless there are bits and pieces that already exist out there. Not trying to be negative but don't know much about the machines that you have. If you could possibly sketch some thoughts on the paper, we can discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
          So the ultimate goal is to have one machine to do all 3 formats? Very ambitious project unless there are bits and pieces that already exist out there. Not trying to be negative but don't know much about the machines that you have. If you could possibly sketch some thoughts on the paper, we can discuss.
          Basically, yes, thats my idea. But i have some challenges..I mean, the motor, led, machinery is the same. The only things i have to fix is the sprockets. They are different, and that tap that pulls the film down is different, the 16mm will have to pull a little longer than 8/s8mm....
          The camera can be adjustet to zoom via software.
          I will also need a trigger, that also will show the speed and counter.
          So for now the main goal is to see if i can do something common with that puller for those 3 formats. And maybe the counter and speed. Those will also be different if i am not too wrong.
          But the whole idea is to do frame-by-frame, preferabbly also with full speed, 18 or 24 fps. The Ximea-camera handles that. And maybe 2 different lenses...
          But in the end, yes its a very ambighious project, that sounds basic in the theory, but...
          Oh, yes, and i planning to have sound on this too...
          But it may happends that i make 2 different machines....
          Its still on the planning-board....
          But i have ob\ne Bauer P6 for 16mm
          One Eumig S905, and
          i think its a Sankyo projector, both for 8/S8mm.

Comment

And finnally, i have already one 8mm/S8mm scanner i use thats benn made in Canada...That scanner is made from a Berkey Keystone 1550 projector as far i know. That digitized films. :-)

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Jon. Gives me a better idea where you are going. It will be a real challenge. I worked on the Wolverine mod for at least a year and a half and it was very challenging and smaller scope than yours. But then again do not want to discourage you, just a head's up. One more thing, possibly look at other alternatives as well by checking what is out there before locking in on a solution.

Comment

Thatnks, Stan :-) I have been considering your solution with wolverine, i tried a reflecta for a little time but didnt like that. Too slow etc. But i'll see what it ends with. :-) As i use to say: My ambitions are often bigger than whats doable for me....:-) :-) :-) But time will show :-) :-)

Comment

No not trying to sell you the Hawkeye board Jon. Getting a bit tired of soldering components day in and day out. And it does not do 16mm either. But just interested in your project and will help if within my capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
                    No not trying to sell you the Hawkeye board Jon. Getting a bit tired of soldering components day in and day out. And it does not do 16mm either. But just interested in your project and will help if within my capabilities.
                    Hehe, no worries :-) :-) I had seen that before, so no surprise there. But its an interesting project :-)

Comment

Definitely is. No boredom at all

Comment

Working...
                      X