First attempt at colourising B&W film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at colourising B&W film

Since the telecine efforts create many hundreds of JPG images, it struck me that it wouldn't be too hard to set up some kind of colouring action in Photoshop, then batch process all the images to make a colour film from B&W. A couple of hours later I'm older and wiser, but yes, it is possible, even with my limited skills.
    This is a short clip shot with c 1923 Pathe Baby camera with the Camo motorised drive c 1926. It was a bad choice of film as the long expired Ferrania negative stock is quite grainy and it's quite jumpy due to my suboptimal telecine methods, but it's still a promising start I think, and it's a bit of fun while we wait for new colour 9.5mm stock to come along...
    There are 60 frames here, photographed with DIY telecine, then 3 colour layers made for each frame created in Batch Processing in Photoshop. I then used the Chroma Key feature in PowerDirector 10 to select the different areas.
    First an example of the frames, starting with the original:

Click image for larger version  Name:	o2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	1315

Click image for larger version  Name:	b1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.0 KB ID:	1316

Click image for larger version  Name:	br1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	1317
    Click image for larger version  Name:	r1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	1318

And the final result:

I thought you had soak some lenght of filmstock in colour chemicals baths to get a tinted film whenI saw the title of your thread. I wonder if such chemicals are still available.

Comment

Dominique
      Have a look at these. Described as Paper Toners, no doubt they will work with film.
      https://www.firstcall-photographic.c...toners/c28-all

Maurice

Comment

Thanks a lot for that link, Maurice.

Comment

Working...
        X