Projector to stepper motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector to stepper motors

Howdy, before I make a bigger dive, I was wondering if anyone here has any tips or knowledge regarding torque specs from a projector motor (mine Elmo K100) to replacing with a stepper type motor. I honestly don't know about motors or how to go about finding out. There is very little info on the motor itself, I suppose some research may determine the model of the motor.

I have been learning about and doing simple projects so far with the Arduino microprocessor in hopes to eventually synchronize the motor with my DSLR camera, so even 1 or 2fps is fine for now.

Thanks

I may suggest doing other way round - syncing the camera capture process to the projector instead. This significantly simplify the electronics work then.

My setup uses the original motor underrun to just around 5fps and still have enough torque to drive the film through. Another optical sensor is used to trigger the camera to "capture" and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
      I may suggest doing other way round - syncing the camera capture process to the projector instead. This significantly simplify the electronics work then.
      I realized that about a day after I made this post. My Elmo does a variable speed adjustment as well as 1/3 speed lever, so it would be slow enuff if I need it to be, say for a triggered DSLR and most certainly a Raspberry Pi HQ Camera.

Comment

That's EXACTLY what I think - keep it simple stupid.

Using a DSLR, or better yet - a mirrorless camera with electronic shutter function & wired remote shutter release. If the camera can catch up with the projector's "slo-mo" speed, the rest would be just a matter of wiring up the trigger pulse from the projector to the camera, fine-tune the timing and bang...your frame by frame 8mm film scanner. No fancy control board/overkill circuitry thing to worry about.

Comment

You mentioned the Raspberry Pi HQ camera. Have you tried using this? I should be interested to know what lens you used.

Comment

Working...
          X