Digital Format selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Format selection

I'm trying to learn about this and decide which format my Super 8 rolls should be scanned into. I will need to do some light editing to the output (shortening some too lengthy shots, or deleting some entirely) but nothing more. I have read that the scanned output should not be H.264 as it's too "hard' to edit. Does this apply to my simple edits/cuts. What would be the easiest (simple to learn, free?) editor to do this on a 8GB ram laptop? Thx

You will find a list of video editors with reviews, ratings and prices at https://www.videohelp.com/software

Comment

Thanks. I'm sure the list is complete. However, at 78, I'm not sure I have enough time left for a new career.

Comment

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker. Very basic but can cut and arrange your clips add titles and music. Very easy to use.

Comment

Yes, used it for several small projects in maybe 2004. But it's history now? Discontinued?

Comment

I still have it on my Windows10 machine. It is no longer supported but still available.

Comment

Hey, look at Video Editor on the Windows 10 menu. It's part or Photos. I spent 10 minutes in there. This VERY simple and has speed controls, colors, and music, yours or theirs.

So if you meant by format, AVI, MP4, or H.264, this editor does not offer codecs, just 3 levels of quality output. Seems to use the original. I tried AVI and MP4 in it.

But to source your captures, I don't know your options. AVI is rather old but it does have an uncompressed option.

Comment

Yes AVI just means Audio Video Interleaved the actual format and compression of the two signals can be varied. Trying to play back AVI files downloaded from computer recorded to DVD in a blu ray player often gives me audio or video format not recognised.

Comment

Looks like Movie Maker is still there on the Microsoft site:
                  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-9d8c98e8f872
                  It is a part of windows essentials that are no longer supported. I got my Windows10 laptop in 2017 and was really ticked off when I found out that they removed the photo gallery and all other photo editors that they offer with Windows10 are close to useless. So I installed the essentials and that included the movie maker.
                  I use the maker t\for quick edits such as Hawkeye instruction videos etc. Really quick and no nonsense. Can crop, concatenate clips, add titles and sound.
                  Not sure if the link is still active but it is worth trying.

Comment

Not to create a shameless ad for my software but you can try my app Film_Crop available at http://instipics.com/Film_Crop. It's free and easy to use although it's output is H.264.

Comment

Working...
                    X