Moviestuff Sniper-16 conversion to HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moviestuff Sniper-16 conversion to HD

Outside chance someone may have tried this before. I'm trying to upgrade an old Moviestuff Sniper-16 (SD) unit to HD. It originally had the old Hitachi KP-950 color machine camera with special lens and S-Video connector through a Canopus AVDC 100 to the PC. This is the setup (Hitachi camera replaced by the Canon with extender rings and macro lens mounted on the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00539.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	17335

I already have a Workprinter-HD (8mm) unit that I've converted using a Canon HF200 camcorder and special 16mm projector lens installed in the capture unit. Works great. However I'm having some problems converting the Sniper-16 unit due to what looks like shutter roll (see video).

Per Roger, I've set the Cinecap software settings to "HD1080 30PsF 8-bit 4:2:2" (slightly different than the video format used by the Workprinter-HD). See attached pics of settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup screen 1.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	17334
    Using a Canon HF200 camcorder with component outputs to Blackmagic Intensity Pro card and Cinecap Velocity HD software for the Moviestuff Sniper-16 projector. Camcorder set at 30PF (frames per second, progressive) and 1/2000 shutter speed. Also tried at 1/1000 and 1/500 shutters with no difference.
    The Canon is a CMOS camera which is why (I believe) Roger suggested I use the 30PF setting and set the shutter speed above 1/500.

Here is a short video showing the problem:

https://youtu.be/oHaNLVC3-qE

This is a wonderful machine, but just can't seem to get the settings right. Suggestions?

Tom
    Attached Files

Seems like a sync issue to me (improper timing/no sync pulse/etc.).

Comment

Thanks for the input. I thought it might be a CMOS problem, so I was going to try with a 3CCD camcorder. The sync function seems fine - used the "auto sync" capture and tried various manual sync settings as well. If it's a timing issue, it has to be in the projector. Any ideas on how to adjust?
      It's an Eiki projector that has been modified with an upgraded motor.
      TOm

Comment

So, got some further info from Roger at Moviestuff. The "Auto-sync" function was for the audio sync on sound films - nothing to do with the framing issue.
        Tom

Comment

I went ahead and converted the old Sniper 15 Scanstream unit to HD using the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. It seems to work with the CineCap Velocity-HD software now - just experimenting with different camcorder and synch settings. Using a Canon XHA1 3CCD camcorder which has great manual controls for capturing.

Comment

Just an update on the Sniper-16 Scanstream upgrade to HD. I built a custom platform that will accept either the Canon XHA1 or Panasonic HDC-SD9 (each with a macrolens and extension tube) and it works PERFECTLY! Great quality and my existing CineCap Velocity HD software is compatible. Both of these are 3CCD camcorders which (apparently) are needed by the software to prevent the problem earlier mentioned in this thread. I'm shooting directly off the film gate in this app.
            Conversely, my Workprinter-HD unit which I converted to direct lens capture (replaced standard lens with 16mm lens) work exactly the same with either a CMOS camcorder (Canon HF200) or a 3CCD camcorder like the XHA1.

Here is a demo video on the operation (will be updating to show the Panasonic with the Sniper soon):

MOVIESTUFF WORKPRINTER-HD AND SNIPER-16 DEMONSTRATION - YouTube

Glad I stuck with this project, but I don't want to reveal the cost of all my mistakes along the way . . .
            Tom

Comment

Just watched your video. Well done!

Comment

Working...
              X