Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finger trouble - that should be 13x17mm

Comment

So many apps allow cropping. Are you looking for a PC app? Something simple?
      Moviemaker - yes it is still available for windows10.
      daVinci Resolve - pretty complicated but powerful free tool
      VirtualDub2 - free but a bit awkward to use (have to enable a plugin for cropping)
      Lightroom

One of the group member wrote his own. Here is his post:
      Not to create a shameless ad for my software but you can try my app Film_Crop available at http://instipics.com/Film_Crop. It's free and easy to use although it's output is H.264.

You can write your own app also. On RPI you can use python and CV (computer vision) sw. There are tons of examples available on the internet. On a PC you can install Visual Studio Community version 2019. But with this one there is a learning curve.

Comment

Thanks Stan. Knowing I will be able to crop, I can spend some time setting the camera up for x2 magnification. This degree of enlargement should yield a 3.2Mp image and I can use a 50mm macro lens to keep the overall length of the optical part as short and rigid as possible.

Comment

Keeping the distances short is a good thing. And it is a good idea to test everything on the bench before modifying the projector.

Comment

Here are a couple of other questions - Probably for Mattias as I know he has a Eumig projector, and has obviously kept detailed records.
            As my projector will not be here for another 5 weeks I want to crack on with developing the optical side.
            1. What is the distance between the film plane and the outer edge of the empty lens tube? (i.e. the shortest distance between the film and the closest possible position for an external lens)
            2. What is the internal diameter of the lens tube? (you have used 32mm o/d pipe, so can I assume that is the correct figure)
            Thanks
            David

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Projector11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	19048
              Originally posted by David Runier View Post
              Here are a couple of other questions - Probably for Mattias as I know he has a Eumig projector, and has obviously kept detailed records.
              As my projector will not be here for another 5 weeks I want to crack on with developing the optical side.
              1. What is the distance between the film plane and the outer edge of the empty lens tube? (i.e. the shortest distance between the film and the closest possible position for an external lens)
              2. What is the internal diameter of the lens tube? (you have used 32mm o/d pipe, so can I assume that is the correct figure)
              Thanks
              David
              Hi the pipe is 32mm outer diameter and 29mm inner diameter here is a photo

the original projector lens have outer diameter 32mm

i think max pipe diameter to fit can not be more than 35mm maybe 34.8mm outer diameter

in the picture the camera to the right it show that it's 27cm from the film gate but it´s little more 27.5cm

the lens in the picture shows that it's 10.5cm from the film gate and that is correct
              Last edited by Mattias Norberg; October 19, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mattias, that's great information. I can try setting everything up and see what adpaters extension tubes etc I'm going to need so they get here around the same time as the projector (with luck!)

Comment

Stan, In view of the slow transfer rate using a R/Pi do you have your AR0230 connected to something else? I have a 'spare' laptop with a hard drive I could use, but haven't a clue how to physically interface an AR0230.

Comment

Mattias, I am assuming your DFK23G274 is connected to a PC, what software do you use to capture the images?

Comment

Mattias, I am assuming your DFK23G274 is connected to a PC, what software do you use to capture the images?
                      Hi i use IC Capture https://www.theimagingsource.com/sup...are/iccapture/

DFK23G274 yes it's connected to a PC through Gigabit Ethernet but the 5v trigger is separate cable and the power cable

but i can power it through PoE (Power over Ethernet) if i want to

Comment

Stan and Mattias
                        Thank you both for being so patient and sharing all your experience and knowledge, it has reduced my learning curve to a fraction of what it might otherwise have been. I know there is still a long way to go, but at least I now know the direction and am producing some useful results from inital lash-ups.
                        Your help has been invaluble and I do appreciate all the time you have spent replyng to my queries. I'll let you know how I get on when everthing has arrived and I have put it all together.
                        David

Comment

Stan and Mattias
                          Thank you both for being so patient and sharing all your experience and knowledge, it has reduced my learning curve to a fraction of what it might otherwise have been. I know there is still a long way to go, but at least I now know the direction and am producing some useful results from inital lash-ups.
                          Your help has been invaluble and I do appreciate all the time you have spent replyng to my queries. I'll let you know how I get on when everthing has arrived and I have put it all together.
                          David
                          interesting to see how it goes

Comment

If your looking for a PC app to do some cropping, try my app Film_Crop. It's free. I wrote it to suit my needs. It allows for cropping, conversion, adding audio, combining files, and includes some simple brightness and saturation adjustments.

Comment

I'm sorry. I posted a bad link. Film_Crop for PC is at http://instipics.com/Film_Crop. I also fixed the link above.

It's free. I wrote it to suit my needs. It allows for cropping, conversion, adjusting for film speed, adding audio, combining video and audio files, splitting video files, and includes some simple brightness and saturation adjustments.
                              Last edited by James G. Brown; November 19, 2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys
                                I cannot believe it is over 12 months since I last posted on this forum. In the meantime both my PC and laptop were stolen along with all the backup disks and it has taken most of 2021 to get back to somewhere close to where we were before, including finding this site on the web!!
                                So I'm no further forward on this project than I was in November 2020 except both the Eumig and Pathe 9.5mm projectors arrived and I have set up the Pathe to copy my father-in-laws 1920s/30s B&W films - frame by frame - long, frustrating and very boring. I have completed the first 400' reel - over 10,000 individual frames, and have combined them using VirtualDub, cropped the video with Film_Crop, but need to rotate it 180*.
                                My first idea is to ask James if there is any possibility he can add this to Film_Crop? Otherwise any suggestions? I don't want video editing sofware that takes days to learn, just something simple that does the job.
                                A question for James - how do I get the denoise plug-ins to work? I have put them in the Film_Crop Denoise directory, but it doesn't seem to recognise them.
                                Cheers
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X