Digital exposure comparison for telecine, comparing grain and tonal range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital exposure comparison for telecine, comparing grain and tonal range

The ongoing battle to get the best results from my grainy long expired negative Ferrania 9.5mm stock continues.

Previous experiments have confirmed that slightly overexposing the film during capture reduces apparent graininess, as both large and small grains are "activated" by the light, whereas with underexposure, the larger grains are activated but the smaller ones are "missed" so you end up with a higher percentage of large grains.

When it comes to the telecine though, it's a bit more complicated, with some results suggesting it's better to overexpose during the digital capture and some suggesting not.

Here's the latest test. The original film was a little overexposed, which is good, I think....

Click image for larger version  Name:	74dw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	1789

And here's the comparison of the same shot, but overexposed with the digital capture:

Click image for larger version  Name:	80dw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	1790

Now here's the film, made from the original capture, and using the slightly overexposed digital capture as a comparison, and a close up cropped example at the end.

The footage on the left, made from the digitally overexposed frames, is more grainy, I think, so my initial conclusion was that the more "normally" exposed footage on the right was better. But looking again now, I believe the left side shows a better tonal range, with more detail in the highlights and mid-tones, so the overexposed footage "wins" in my opinion (other opinions welcome!). There's more detail on the left side, which makes it appear more grainy, but actually it's not. I think!

The link: https://youtu.be/2_wklGnCw8M

I agree, I think the left side looks better and slightly sharper with more detail.

Comment

Working...
    X