Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital to film (s8) conversion

Hi all,
    a crazy idea.... as a movie fan ( 8-16-35mm ), collector of film technics ( projectors ), I am teased by the idea of recording a HD quality film on a S8 material ( BW yet... ) and enjoying the purring of a projector while watching a movie again.... ( equivalent to vinyl LP fans... ). Anyone with experience, equipment, advise, contacts, links etc... ?
    Thank you all,
    K

In theory - possible.

Mainly a high quality monitor display and a camera with stop-motion function and shutter release cable would be necessary. Just point the camera to the display monitor and shoot it frame-by-frame. Would be OK to do it manually for a short clip that fits in one 50ft spool (3,600 manual shutter release, just saying) Anything beyond that you'd probably need some sort of automation to help this out.

This is vice-versa of what I'm doing - trying to automate my S8 film scan setup using a digital camera. Currently trying to figure out how to automatically activate shutter release from the projector mechanics.

Comment

Even crazier idea. Get one of those $30 LED projectors with HDMI input and create optics to shoot directly into 8mm camera. Obviously would have to sync up the two systems somehow.

Comment

Well if you can synchronise a cine projector to a DVD or Blu Ray player it shouldn't be too difficult. After all TV stations did it for decades as film telerecordings or Kinescopes.

Comment

One workaround is to use BS.Player
          BSPlayer enables you to change playback rate, up to 4x in increments of 1% (increase with F5, decrease with F6) or 10% (increase with Ctrl+F5, decrease with Ctrl+F6).
          Slow the video down to match the 8mm camera speed. You end up with the 8mm movie with HD content and play that on your old projector...

Comment

Working...
          X