Hawkeye-DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so excited for this DSLR option!

If I'm understanding the basic setup, this completely bypasses the need for the Hawkeye board?

I have a full frame mirrorless Canon EOS R, which indeed has the electronic shutter, so no worries of wearing it out.
    I'll put the Canon 65mm Macro on order if this is idea has future development.

Thanks everyone

Comment

You do not need the Hawkeye board Peter. You might have to add a small 3V solid state relay to trigger your camera. Your EOS R has an E3 type remote shutter connector
      https://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3...ut/pin-out.php
      Attach the relay to the Wolverine controller as shown.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	canon-eos-trigger.png
Views:	352
Size:	1,023.9 KB
ID:	28418

Comment

Completed the setup with the Mark2 and the lens reverse mount adapter and Wolverine controller.
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLaNpq29APSv8Kuq9

Worked out very well. Ran video mode and extracted every 15th frame. All output frames came out clean.
        Postprocessed in VirtualDub.
        Here is a very short clip.
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nrB...ew?usp=sharing

The final cropped resolution is around 1280x820.
        There is some shadowing on the right side. I believe it is from the mask over the gate. Will reposition it tomorrow and rerun the clip.
        Also wanted to note that the original resolution is better than the google drive version which appears to be softer.

Comment

Here is the test shot with Mark2 and 17-40mm reverse mounted.
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/EDNyQx1kqxv4MCkQ6
          Forced the lens to F16. At F4 the corners become soft. But at F16 still plenty of light so no need for wider aperture.

Comment

Excellent. So is that picture of the focus leader cropped at all? Or is that the size of the film frame within the picture frame? If so, that’s exactly what I’m wanting.

Comment

Thanks Doug. That is straight out of Mark2. Have not done any mods to it.

Comment

Finished the DSLR rig.
                https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSPEtW4sqBXS5G5q8
                Mark2 reverse mount for the 17-40mm lens works very well.
                https://photos.app.goo.gl/xS6V8x5QztKq1HPV6
                At F16 everything is is sharp focus and no soft edges.
                Ran the camera in video mode and with the Wolverine controller you have to extract every 15th frame, And that does not change throughout the clip. It is solid. The only issue is that the post is slow. Here is the processed clip.
                https://drive.google.com/.../1uAQWzG2XNxeERvZ1GYp.../view...
                Then again, if you have a DSLR with e-shutter you can run in trigger mode. Faster post and higher resolution. I am planning to do a small trigger board for the Wolverine controller. Will have only a few components, so it should be pretty low cost.

Comment

Stan

Finished?

I'm going to revisit this one day, I have a mountain of film to digitize on the Hawkeye right now, and no Wolverine!

I'm curious about the 15th frame. Is it clearly flawed and easy to see, or a calculated spacing?

Did you start the video with the Wolverine's shutter trigger, or just start each independently?

Comment

Hi David.
                    Finished. Yes, at least what wanted to do and that is to show that the Wolverine/Hawkey components can be mounted on an open rig and that a DSLR can be used with very good image quality.
                    I showed two methods of how this can be used, actually three, maybe four:

1. Reuse the Wolverine controller and free run video at 30 FPS. With Wolverine controller running exactly at 2 FPS, this gives you 15 frames per single movie image. If you arrange the images in the file explorer so that you have 15 images per row you will clearly see the 2 transition rows. So start the copy with an image that is away from the transition and copy the rest of the images using the 15 image skip sequence. You will get clean frames in the destination dir.

2. Run with Wolverine controller in trigger mode with the controller triggering the camera. So, this is similar to the mode that we currently use on Hawkeye except that the camera is different. I am still looking at how to bring the sync out of the Wolverine controller. Should not be that hard.
                    This is for the people that do not have Hawkeye.

3. Run Hawkeye in trigger mode with the Hawkeye board triggering the camera. Very simple mod required to bring the sync out.

4. Run Hawkeye in non trigger mode. At this point this is not a good option because the Hawkeye is not crystal controlled and the skip sequence will drift.

Here is what the capture dir looks like. Check the 2nd and 3rd row.

Name:	image_6913.png
Views:	296
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	28670

Comment

Here is a small interface board for people who want to use the Wolverine controller with their e-shutter DSLR for frame-by-frame.
                      Note: This is not required for camera video mode which requires no mods.

Trigger circuit:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	trigger.png Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	28695

Controller circuit:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	controller.png Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	28696

Takeup circuit:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	takeup.png Views:	0 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	28697

The idea is to intercept the LED to run the MSP430. The MSP430 then, similar to Hawkeye, provides a proper trigger timing and pulse width because the Wolverine trigger is at the bad spot in the timing cycle and very short width.
                      The MSP also provides a pulsed takeup that can be controlled by a switch. One position low tension, another one high tension and continuous in the middle.
                      So to summarize, you made your own rig with the e-shutter DSLR and Wolverine components (no Hawkeye) and need the trigger interface. And this is it and it also contains the pulsed takeup control.

Comment

Here is the trigger board.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	controller-board.png Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	28733

Cabling:

Name:	cabling.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	28740

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Stan Jelavic; February 26, 2021, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Instructions on how to build and use:
                          https://github.com/vintagefilmography/DSLR

Comment

Hi Stan. I'm glad to see that 'finished' doesn't mean what I thought it meant!!

I found a Winait model that was selling for parts or repair. After you last post, I bought it. It should be good for this project. The seller had run 500 reels thru it before it stopped working. Sounds like the problem is with the image processing and not mechanical, I'll find out. It was new in Nov '18, the facade looks different than the Wolverine Movie Pro. I don't plan to use the casing.

2-3 weeks, coming from Canada...........

Comment

Canada Eh!
                              Lived in Good ol' TO for a few years.
                              Beautiful city and nice people.
                              Good move David. If it is a problem with the imaging part only then you definitely can use it for this project.
                              Keep us posted.

Comment

Very intersting. Didn't you tried 24fps mode? On some Canon (T3i/ T5i, 5D) you can try magic lantern which will allow RAW video capture and FPS adjustment (up to 2fps), maybe using 6fps would allow to use middle clean frame and lower shutter speeds if needed. I have a 70D but unfortunately FPS adjustment it's not possible with ML. Is it possible to use an extension tube for macro?

Comment

Working...
                                X