Cameradactyl Mongoose automated 35mm scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameradactyl Mongoose automated 35mm scanner

I know this is an 8mm page, but I saw this and the first thing I thought was how can I adapt it to 8mm. Some of you more technical guys might want to look at this... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-film-scanning

Does not look suitable for video scanning. OK for stills. That is also stated in the FAQ. The transport is probably not precise enough for video. Thanks for posting Steve.

Comment

In essence, this is a film transport specifically made to handle 35mm film.

While possible I still doubt if this would worth the investment.

For the lowest budget DIYer (like me) modifying a good used projector seems to be the most practical choice. The basic mechanic was there already. Just a few more things to add on.
      1.modifying the optics,
      2.have the motor speed-control made
      3.add the trigger output to "fire" the camera's shutter
      And that's all. So why reinventing the wheel?

PS this is my old setup. Currently replacing that camcorder with a mirrorless camera. Although it's a bit slow (max. speed 3 fps) the end result is more than good enough for me.

Comment

Valid point Nantawat. That was the approach that I took 10 years ago and it worked out pretty good but here are some issues that I encountered.
        - The mechanics of the projector prevent you from reaching close enough to the film to use a good quality macro lens. So you have to use custom optics and to me that is just not good enough. I rescanned the old reels done this way with the newer frame-by-frame scanner and good quality optics and I can definitely see the difference. On a large monitor the main difference is crispiness across the whole frame. The colors are not that much different.
        - Motor speed control changes with torque so I would have to retweak it from time to time. Kinda annoying.
        - Barely visible smears at the top or bottom of the frame.

So for me, I would love to have an "open" stepper controlled transport with crystal control and not too expensive. I currently use Wolverine parts but that is pretty expensive. So if someone out there has mechanical skills to come up with something reliable I could pitch in with the controller design and electronics.

Comment

Working...
        X