Film relaxer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film relaxer

Recently I got a large box of 16mm films from the 1940s-1970s. The early ones besides being brittle were badly curled. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of a solution that will relax and flatten these.
    Thanks.
    Gregory

A good friend of mine, Hugh Scott Thomson, who was a member here some time ago, kindly sent me some Camphor tablets. His advice was simple, place a few of these in a card box with the film, DONT let the film itself touch the tablets. Leave it for a week or two, (or longer if needed) and this should help to make the film supple again. I can confirm it worked for me as recently i had a 16mm b/w print which was covered in mould "from a dealer". After i cleaned the film i followed the above instructions and it did the job.

Comment

Tom Photiou What is a "card box?"

Comment

The old cardboard boxes that 16mm film sometimes come in or any cardboard box the isn't too much bigger than the film itself, but has enough room to place some of the tablets in without them touching the film itself.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will pick some up next time I go to the pharmacy and give it a try.

Comment

Hope it works for you, please let me know.

Comment

Are we talking moth balls here then TOM ?.........

Comment

This is what i read on-line, I know Hugh will give me the correct answer, in the meantime

The main difference between Camphor and Mothball is that the Camphor is a group of stereoisomers and Mothball is a mothballs. Camphor () is a waxy, flammable, white or transparent solid with a strong aroma. ... Camphor can also be synthetically produced from oil of turpentine.

By the way, why do moths fly with their legs apart? Have you seen the size of Moth balls?

Comment

That's nuts!

16mm film boxes = trip to local pizza shop = some very nice white boxes £2 each ideal for 16mm features

Comment

Lee Mannering, that's thinking outside of the box!

Comment

Brown ones available form Nisbets catering supplies 9" 100 for £25.19, 12" 100 for £33.59 & 14" 50 for 25.19 (inc VAT) plus postage (free if order over £50 excl VAT.) Just in case anyone has a large amount to 16mm to re-box.

Comment

Working...
                      X