New Avisynth plugin for stabilizing scanned films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Avisynth plugin for stabilizing scanned films

I created a new plugin for Avisynth that is specifically made for globally stabilizing frames across the scanned film. It uses film perforation as an anchor for stabilization. So far I've tested it with one clip, but I have all the equipment now and I will scan more films soon. The plugin is really fresh and might have problems. I've tested it with recent version of Avisynth+ under Windows 10. Both 32 and 64 bit plugins seemed to work.

My idea was to have a plugin that will remove only the scanning errors caused by the damaged perforation or bad scanner and does not alter the the original material at all. If the camera shook or was out of focus - I want to have it in scanned film as well.

If you like to reduce the camera movements or degrain the movie - you can use other plugins after you have stabilized the film first. The results of the other stabilizers should improve because one big and random component of movements is eliminated.

The filter will only pan the frames as they are and will not do any interpolation of pixels.

The filter is available here: https://github.com/arnean/PerfPan

I'm interested to hear your experience if you try it out.

Just wanted to let you know that I have updated the project in Github. Documentation now describes my complete workflow. Also improved the plugin and added support for hintfiles. I've scanned many films now - probably ~20 hours of material. PerfPan is doing a great job.

I've uploaded demo clip here: https://home.cyber.ee/~arne/stable-flowers.mp4

Upper part is stabilized, lower part is original.

I hope you find it useful. And let me know if you have suggestions or questions.

Comment

Arne Ansper Nice work Arne! Thank you.

Comment

Will definitely check this because one of my projects is a pinch roller scanner for 8mm,16mm and 35mm. The pinch roller just uses a tuned value for the frame advance and needs the drift compensation because the tuning is never perfect due to film stretch etc. I have been using the deshaker script but it is a pain to set it up. Perhaps this tool is easier to use. Thank you Arne.

Comment

I must say that so far I've used it only for Standard 8 films, but I will soon see how it works with Super 8 where perforation has different shape and location.

Another thing is that the films that I have scanned are all black around perforation area. All those films are self-made. But I also have some films (cartoons) that are made in factory - those have transparent film around perforations. I haven't tried to scan them yet, but this might cause problems.

Comment

I ran the sprocketalign script from Mattias on R8,S8 and 16mm and got some pretty good results. The test clips were not very long so not sure if longer clips would cause some issue, The issue is that the script has to be tweaked for each format (guess there is no easy way around that) and it just gobbles up the PC memory like crazy.
            https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...3022#post13022

Comment

Tried it on Super-8 as well and got good results. I recommend to overscan more and capture the full sprocket hole. As an afterthought I should have done it for Regular 8 films as well.

Added a video of my scanner to workflow description.

Comment

Working...
              X