No announcement yet.

New kodak reelz 8mm scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stan, isn't it a case of the image you are zooming into that was posted by Nantawat is only as good as the forum's uploading of images will allow?

Comment

That is possible Gary. Nantawat can check that but when I zoom in I can see that same jpeg/mpeg tiling similar to wolverine indicating pretty high compression. Now maybe the forum image compression is contributing to it, not sure. It is also known that 8mm scanning puts a pretty high demand on the camera and image acquisition system and taking a nice scenery shot is no proof that this will wok well for the scan. It is definitely a step forward but more is needed. That is what I found out by testing many different cameras and lenses with the Wolverine. Many frustrating hours can tell you that.

Comment

No wonder about digital artifact, for sure.

If I'm not mistaken this is probably the 3rd-4th generation from the original file. It would be something like original clip->intermediate file during editing->output file from final transcoding->and snapshot during playback of this file.
        The only possible reason I have this leftover clip still in my PC would be only for some insurance reference or so (I honestly forgot the real reason, it's years ago). Ans sure enough, no need for any super high image quality at all.

How about another possible experiment? Using a decent dash cam as the base and doing only necessary mod for film scanning (changing the lens at very least). Then capturing direct from its HDMI output, or even taking stills into its built in memory card. The output quality, at my wild guess, would be comparable to Wolverine's original camera module at the very least - maybe noticeably better even.

Comment

That is definitely possible with the homemade scanner that I am working on (and other people). Would require a lens change. It is interesting since the dashcams quality is getting better and some have HDR. Also drone cams.

Comment

Working...
          X