Digital conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital conversion

In my work I digitize 8, super 8 and 16mm films. Recently I have received some very old 16mm films that have a very dirty surface that sticks to the projector wheels. How can I clean them without too much hassle?

Physical dirt on the film itself?
    Try searching for FILM GUARD in the forum. Probably that's all you need for cleaning (and lubricating as a bonus ).

Comment

Is it a cleaning product? I have read that some people use rubbing alcohol

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol

Comment

Both will probably giving you some cleaning action. But usually I prefer some oil-based solution such as Film Guard.

- You don't have to wait & let it dry first. Actually it won't dry, as being oil-based. That shouldn't cause any issue as long as you don't overapply it.
          - It would help somewhat hiding light base scratch (and even eliminating some emulsion scratch). This is noticeable even with soft light source as used in most film scanners.
          - Being lubricant means it would help the film to run more smoothly through film transport too. This is useful especially for old/brittle films.

Your mileage (and your preference) may vary, but this is what that works for me.

Comment

Working...
          X