Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanned Super8 film frame rate

Hello,

I have my Super8 movies all scanned, the scanner created a file at 20fps, am I better to modify this in Adobe Premiere Pro to bring it closer to a Super8 frame rate of 16 to 18fps?

Yes

Comment

Actually I see absolutely no valid reason why the manufacturer set the frame rate at 20 fps in the first place? No moving image format, be it film or video, as I've known in the entire history ever use this odd frame rate - none at all.

Comment

I've wondered what that setting does in say a Moviestuff scanner. Is it possibly the rate at which the frames are scanned? I say that because I had a film scanned and they said they had set it to play back at 17 fps, but it obviously played back much faster, around 25 fps.

Comment

Just to add to the confusion. MKVToolNix can also change frame rate.

No conversion done. It simply creates a MKV file containing your motion picture file and any related file, be it music, narration or subtitles and you can alter fps prior to the multiplex job.

It's handy if files don't play in your media player or aspect ratio is wrong.

It's free.

Comment

The Moviestuff.tv software captures a series of images. When you convert it to an AVI or MPEG file it sets the frame rate to whatever you want from 8 to 30 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
              Actually I see absolutely no valid reason why the manufacturer set the frame rate at 20 fps in the first place? No moving image format, be it film or video, as I've known in the entire history ever use this odd frame rate - none at all.
              Seems like it would have been easy enough for the machine to set the frame rate in software for 16fps when the switch is set to "8mm," then change it to 18fps when the switch is flipped to the "Super 8" position. Since the manufacturers chose not to do that, it is assumed the user will do the speed change in post via editing software. With that in mind the 20fps rate makes sense, since reducing speed to exactly 80% will produce 16fps playback and exactly 90% will play at 18fps.

Comment

Early filmmakers and animators discovered ways to create a motion perception through trial and error, somewhere between 12 and 16 fps. Anything below this threshold gave the brain perception of the display of a series of discrete images. Most silent films were filmed at around 16 to 18 frames per second and projected around 20-24 fps. This motion made films like Charlie Chaplin so comical.

Later, with the advent of sounds in films, filmmakers felt the need for a standard frame rate, and 24 fps became the choice.
                https://www.vdocipher.com/blog/2021/07/video-frame-rate

Comment

Working...
                X