Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winati, Wolverine mods question

Hi

I have a winait scanner (Wolverine Hawkeye)

Is there any mileage in replacing the plastic roller guides on this unit, to ones from a real original cine viewer with metal roller guides ?

Ive attached pics to show what I mean

Thanks

Possibly less wear and tear on the film. The original Wolverine and its variants have rubber rollers on the takeup side to reduce the possibility of the takeup tugging on the film in the gate. The Hawkeye mod uses a pulsed type takeup reducing the possibility of tugging. So, yes I think replacing the rollers may be a good idea but not 100% sure if it will result in increased film shake.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
      Possibly less wear and tear on the film. The original Wolverine and its variants have rubber rollers on the takeup side to reduce the possibility of the takeup tugging on the film in the gate. The Hawkeye mod uses a pulsed type takeup reducing the possibility of tugging. So, yes I think replacing the rollers may be a good idea but not 100% sure if it will result in increased film shake.

Thanks Stan

I was thinking more to avoid scratching the film, as ive read that the static plastic guides scratch the film, they are rollers so dont move as the film drags across them, mainly the first one where the film is being pulled

As you can see I still haven't fitted the Hawkeye mod

Comment

One pass thru the scanner should not scratch the film if the "guides" are clean. They are not rollers, they are there to create friction on the film. It's the cheapest way to manage the forceful takeup drive. It's product design by accountants. The risk is, can the scanner finish in one pass without capture errors! Multiple passes adds damage.

The gate holds the film with a spring loaded pressure plate. That pressure can be adjusted, too little pressure and the film moves erratically. I think designers also rely on a bit of force from the takeup to help pull the film thru a tight gate.

The takeup reel was originally driven by a rubber belt off the main motor. Now in newer models there is a separate takeup motor that is geared for high torque.

There is a slip clutch inside the takeup spindle. It is too tight on the two models I've owned. The only adjustment is to dismantle the spindle and replace the clutch spring, one with less force. Good luck finding such a spring!!! I modified the my stock spring by cutting a small piece off the end to make it shorter. That went in the opposite direction, making it too weak to wind a large reel.

All this is just to say the guides on the right side of the gate put friction on the film, preventing it from pulling the film faster than the claw. If that happens, the capture will have jumps and jitters. Hard to balance all this.

If it were me, I'd replace the guides with rollers. I did, I have the Hawkeye mod. I think you should use the rollers from your projector and remove the stock guides.

That said, be prepared to restrain your takeup reel. You could mount something externally that adds (adjustable) friction on the takeup reel. It won't damage the motor that is protected by the slip clutch. I hope.

That's the simplest solution. I've done it by using my hand to restrain the takeup speed. That means you are there for the whole capture.

Rollers will better protect the film and upset the battle between the drive and takeup motors. Some in the past stopped using the takeup drive letting the film collect in a box off the table. Changing out the guides should show if the gate is too tight, like using a box for takeup!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X