ELMO TRV 16mm Transfer Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELMO TRV 16mm Transfer Machine

This one Looks good, and its Fully Working see Photos, with Super Video Output.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26564445656...YAAOSwpPNiTyka

I think the S video is Separate not Super. Standard definition but separate chroma and luminance output, not composite which causes cross colour in fine detail when decoded.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
      I think the S video is Separate not Super. Standard definition but separate chroma and luminance output, not composite which causes cross colour in fine detail when decoded.
      No S video, invented by JVC was initially SUPER VHS. This got changed to S-Video when the Y/C variation was added to other domestic formats like Video 8 as Hi8, as well as Pro formats like Betacam SP. Subsequently most tape formats (except bog standard VHS) had S out many with S in too. Whilst the signal is cleaner, the fact that the Elmo and similar machines use a single camera chip is more likely to reduce the benefit.

Comment

Yes Super VHS but not Super video, it was the fact that S_VHS had separate luma and chroma outputs plus the tape formulation gave better bandwidth that made it "Super". Home video systems (i/2 inch) had always used "Colour Under" not composite recording of the video signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
          Yes Super VHS but not Super video, it was the fact that S_VHS had separate luma and chroma outputs plus the tape formulation gave better bandwidth that made it "Super". Home video systems (i/2 inch) had always used "Colour Under" not composite recording of the video signal.
          Oh please give it up. Composite video precedes any domestic format and dates back to the invention of colour TV. All early colour systems used a composite signal including 2" and 1" which was also used on Phillips VCRs and then VHS. With the introduction of JVCs Y/C Super VHS system complete with the 4pin connector a better recording system became available with separated luma and chroma. So initially the S stood for Super, end of!. The same Y/C system with the same Y/C 4pin plug and seeing as you mention it , it is still a colour under system. If you want to believe and it makes you happy that the S stands for separate, fine even if it is not the correct derivation.

Comment

Once again you miss the point the S in Super VHS was mainly due to the higher bandwidth on the Luma signal giving more detail not the fact that could be output without double composite (NTSC/PAL) encoding.

Comment

I haven't missed any point. I have been in Pro Video for over 35 years. You tried to put the O/P down by telling him that S stood for separate which I think we have now established it doesn't.. I am well aware of signal processing, working (and having in my studio) formats in composite, S, YUV and SDI.

Comment

Saying that you disagree about an initial is not "putting someone down".

Comment

What's the beef here? You're all correct, mostly.

The real question here seems to be somone thinks this telecine is a good buy. I don't know about $1700, seems a bit high for a defunct format.

S-vhs, 1/2" video tape or Hi-8, 1/4" video tape used the svhs or y/c format that had hires black and white overlaid with extremely lores color.

It was then even lower resolution after being recorded to vhs or 8mm video. A live signal, which this projector would output, would be comparable to SD resolution today. Except the color really has no detail. It's like cumulous clouds of color overlaid on black & white.

Composite video is the worst choice of all. BetacamSP had 3 color chanels each with hires color, and no black and white signal.

Hires here means maybe 720 or 640x480, depending on the digitising hardware.

THE REAL POINT HERE IS NOT TO USE THE SVHS SIGNAL. Buy this projector and replace the digital sensor with something contemporary.

S-VHS looked ok on an NTSC Cathode Ray Tube, it looks HORRIBLE today's LCD monitors!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X