SD Card Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Card Error

Good morning, I have had the Wolverine Film2digital Movie Maker for many years now. Worked fantastic, and I have converted all my super 8mm films to digital. Pulled it out of storage just before Xmas to convert my brothers super 8mm films, and although everything looks fine it will not read the sd card. I have formatted the card several different ways. I have used several different sd cards. New and old. I can see that the card is inserted when I connect my Mac to the Movie Maker. When first turned on I get (Card Error), if I continue to the record section I get (Custer size wrong Please re format). I go to the format section and it appears to do nothing. Can I get a replacement sd reader card or something. Love the machine and would like to keep it running. Any thoughts. Thanks Glenn

I have several bad Wolverine controllers. One of them has the same issue like the one you described Glenn. It seems to be an electrical problem. Will have another look. The SD card connector is integrated with the controller and cannot be purchased separately. Not sure if Wolverine sell the controllers separately. May be a good idea to contact them.

Comment

Hi All,
      From wolverinedata.com:
      Q:MovieMaker: I receive the message "cluster size error"?
      A:Cluster size error means that you are either using a very old SD card (1GB or less), you are using larger than 32GB card or you did not format the card using the Wolverine unit.

It may be the controller as suggested... but just in case you had a larger card. Also, have you tried a microsd, using an SD card adapter- just to rule that out as well?
      Cheers,
      Matt

Comment

Thanks Stan and Mathew for your help. I have tried the micro sd card with the adapter but still the same result. I have contacted Wolverine re this issue and they suggest sending it back for repair. As I'm in Australia this may be quite a costly exercise. Was hoping a local tech could sort it out. Thanks again. Glenn

Comment

Bit puzzled by this. Why would using a micro SD card in adapter behave differently to using a full size SD card? Any technical reason?

Comment

Hi Graham,
            There should not be a real difference, but since I don't own a wolverine and am going by troubleshooting skills, I was trying to determine if it could be a driver issue. MicroSDHC cards are NOT the same as MicroSD, which are also different from SD. By trying these different cards, I was trying to eliminate a possible driver issue. Also, make sure to blow out the port with compressed air to make sure it is clean.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro-SD.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	58749
            @Glenn- Does this machine also have a usb flash drive port? What happens when using that instead to save to, as a workaround?
            I don't like sending things away for repair either if I can help it!
            Cheers,
            Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt, I will give it a try. I have only used the usb port to connect to my computer. I will see if it behaves differently with a flash drive.
              Let you know.

Thanks

Comment

Hey Matt, Just checked and the usb port is a Mini B so can't attach any of my flash drives!

Thanks anyway
                Glenn

Comment

As I mentioned I have one controller with the Cluster read error.
                  The SD card that I used to test this controller works ok on other Wolverine controllers (I have several)
                  I opened up the SD connector cover.
                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCkcqJ4oZmruX1UD9
                  The contacts look pretty clean and don't think that is the issue.
                  But I noticed that the card does not go all the way in. The ridges between the contacts on the card do not engage properly with the ridges in the reader.
                  If I wiggle it a bit and apply a bit of force it does go in. Not really sure if that was the issue since I do not have a Wolverine unit to test it with.
                  Maybe if I get a cheap one for parts I will test it.

Another painful alternative is the socket replacement.
                  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...SF(41)/9489744

It is doable but have to be very careful. It is very easy to damage the components around the socket and the socket pcb pads.
                  Let me know if you want to go this way. Can send you a few pointers.

Comment

BTW people did report problems with the contacts. SJCAM has very similar guts and software.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YbtUE0RplU (need to turn the CC on).

Comment

I have fixed SD card errors on a number of occasions by cleaning and deoxidizing the contacts inside the socket that the card goes into, at the back. I use a microbrush, very small diameter, 1mm usually, soak it with DeoxIT Gold G5 (there might be other equivalent products, I don't know) then scrub the deep end of the socket, where the connectors are, with the microbrush tip. Not too hard, but give a thorough scrub. This has helped not only with SD card sockets on computers, but lightning-type power connectors (iPhone etc) and USB sockets. Worth a try if you haven't tried it yet. The fact that the Wolverine sat for awhile without being used suggests that this might be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X