Transfer sound from eumig s810D HQS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer sound from eumig s810D HQS

I have used a Eumig S810D HQS projector to transfer to some standard 8mm sound films to a DVD recorder. The set up uses a small camera rather than a projected image and the pictures are acceptable but I cannot get rid of the hum. I have used a Beringer hum filter and a graphics equaliser and the sound is better than without them. I am using the output from the projector to a seperate amplifier. Anybody come up with a good way of transferring sound? Thanks

I don't know how effective this would be in your situation, but I've found the following to be very helpful in elimination 'hum' for Ham Radio...

Amazon.com: RF Choke 31500 Ferrite Filter Core Material 31 Mix ID 1/2" 13mm : Electronics

Comment

I have used the line out socket on Eumig 810d to play the sound through my av amp but via a mixer without any problems. Have you got the little DIN plug wired correctly? I admit I have not tried transferring anything other than analogue video with a dvd recorder except some 9.5mm striped film using a doctored Adsonic stripe sound recorder. This has a valve amp with a line out socket. I have got to do it all again because the projector was running too fast. It is not easy to adjust the speed on a Pathe PAX. Ken Finch.

Comment

Have not played with the audio transfer at all, just video. So my 2 cents here.
        Perhaps get a small battery operated recorder and test it that way. It hum is still there then it could be some problem with the power supply, such as a dead cap. If the hum is gone then it is probably a ground loop somewhere. Try reversing the AC plug on your DVD recorder or the projector. Is there a ground on the plug, if so get a splitter and remove the ground. Be careful though, the unit can become "hot".

Comment

Another way that would need some caution, as it could make things worse, would be to adjust the two "hum-bucking coils inside the projector that should have been set in the factory for minimum hum from the transformer. They may have moved since then producing a louder hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Murray View Post
            I have used a Eumig S810D HQS projector to transfer to some standard 8mm sound films to a DVD recorder. The set up uses a small camera rather than a projected image and the pictures are acceptable but I cannot get rid of the hum. I have used a Beringer hum filter and a graphics equaliser and the sound is better than without them. I am using the output from the projector to a seperate amplifier. Anybody come up with a good way of transferring sound? Thanks
            I have used Eumigs since 1986- currently own 3x 824s and 2 822s. Back in the day would have had 810Ds.
            I would try:
            1. Do you hear the hum from the speaker or only the Line out?
            2. Try another film ie Super 8mm with Sound.
            3.The DIN cable check the wiring. Pins 1& 2
            4 John White http://www.the8mmshedshop.co.uk/contact.html
            Last edited by David Strelitz; September 11, 2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I plug a Eumig 800 Series into an external sound system quite often. I have ground loop compensation and a 60 Hz. notch filter between my mixer and my amp, and I went in and tightened the ground lug inside the machine (I was seeing about 2VAC between audio "ground" and the third power cord lug before I did!). I also pulled the power supply filter capacitor and replaced it with a brand new one. (-for the record, I measured the old one: it was fine.)

Even with all this, the audio in the speakers is still a little hummy: not terrible, but kind of "there" if you pay attention to it.

I think the main issue here is the power transformer is located pretty close to the sound head: it should help that there is an aluminum chassis wall in between the two, but these are just vulnerable to pickup and there is only so much the hum-bucking can do.

I think another source of trouble here is also human: if you walk up to a modern piece of consumer audio equipment, you're hard pressed to hear any hum. Then you turn to something built in the 1970s with that same set of expectations and the hum becomes bothersome. I can hear no hum with my setup with most of my machines at normal volume levels. When I travel and bring along a projector I leave all this external stuff behind. The first time running unplugged, I hate the hum. A few days later it seems entirely normal.

Our ears, nervous systems and psychology are the last links in the audio chain, and the most complicated!

Comment

How true Steve.I’m beginning to find out at my age that my own ears are the actual limiting factor in my home audio system. Same thing with the eyes😦

Comment

-plus my wife claims I can't hear her!

(Not completely true: sometimes I just stop listening!)

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies. I have plenty of things to try.
                    Frank Do you just wrap the RF choke around the wiring? I am not familiar with this. Thanks Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X