Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health and Safety Precautions for a Digitisation Lab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health and Safety Precautions for a Digitisation Lab?

Hey everyone, I would like to know what health and safety precautions you take when it comes to cleaning, handling and digitising film in various states of decay/mould/deterioration.

I have acquired an old Fume Cupboard but am having trouble finding someone willing to service it and have that set up at my lab. I just don't want to be inadvertently destroying my lungs.

Is there any training I can do? Any resources I can study etc.? Just any and all information I can use to optimise the safety of my workspace is of course very important to me.

Thanks for your help

Hi Jacob

There are likely guidance and advice if it has been identified as a healthy and safety risk. If you are talking about a workplace your local health and safety executive office could be a first place of contact who my be able to advise you or refer you.

If it is a home environment you could contact museum archive for help.

I am presuming it is debris material coming from decaying decomposing film is the issue. In the interim wear a good mask, work in well ventilated environment and take breaks from work.

I just hope it is not nitrate film you are dealing with as it is way too dangerous to deal unless in a professional surroundings due to high flammability 🔥

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response! Luckily it is not nitrate film but working as Head of Cine for a digitisation lab I handle thousands of feet of film from multiple decades, storage conditions and Lord knows where else.

This is my main anxiety as I want to ensure that I am doing everything I can to be looking after myself.

Jacob

Comment

Yes, the mention of nitrate gave me visions of someone working on nitrate film in an asbestos cement shed. Health & Safety nightmare.

Comment

Hi Jacob

Best to get expert advice. Either HSE or there is bound to be film archives who can give you guidance. Mask and gloves and good ventilation would be best as a precaution until them.

you also need to consider what some of this film has been cleaned with as some of the diy cleaners are pretty toxic.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
            Yes, the mention of nitrate gave me visions of someone working on nitrate film in an asbestos cement shed. Health & Safety nightmare.
            Beside somebody who chain smokes 🚬 and has a wee drink 🥃 issue 🤪🤪🤪

Comment

Working...
            X