AI Upscaling Software for Post Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Upscaling Software for Post Processing

I have yet to try out any of these AI upscaling software, however I thought it might be helpful to introduce the technology here for others to try and see if it can be useful for film conversions. Two of the software examples in this YouTube video are paid versions and one is free. There is a brief demo of each and a quality comparison. However it is not using video transferred from film. I'm interested to see if this would help with artifacts produced from the Wolverine units. I am going to try it out on a few of my frame by frame transfers (not Wolverine) to see if it does a good job of upscaling from 720p to 1080p.

Thanks for sharing Janice. I have lots of original Wolverine clips (not Hawkeye) and will try it.

Comment

Some time ago , I ran across a youtube video of a transfer with the Kodak Reelz, it was processed with Topaz AI ...the results seemed above standard Woverine transfers.

Comment

Is there anyway you can post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Arpin View Post
          Is there anyway you can post a link?
          Watch the video on YouTube and you will see all the links in the description.

Comment

Not good Janice. Makes the video much worse. The digital artifacts just get smoothed out, almost like running a low pass filter on the image.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	wolverine-avc-post.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	66709

Comment

Thanks Stan! Well looks like they're still not much help for basic Wolverine scans. They are what they are. Don't need an application to make the captures worse 😜 Appreciate you taking the time to test the app.

Comment

It is a promising technology Janice but guess it is not generic enough i.e. not suitable for every type of distortion and probably would have to be trained for the specific type of distortion such as the Wolverine compression. Something to research I guess.

Comment

The story does not end here Janice. I sent the Wolverine clip to AVC Labs and they responded right away and issues a support ticket regarding the issue. They say that examples like these are valuable to them to improve the training of the app. Will keep you updated.

Comment

Oh great Stan! So glad to hear that. Definitely keep us posted..."never give up... no ever surrender ".😁

Comment

Working...
                    X