Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help....

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and thanks for reading my post. Hopefully no one is put off, I'm still learning. And boy have I found there's a lot I don't know.

After poking around a few days, I'm probably more confused than I was when I started, lol. Hopefully folks can point me in the right direction to help me use my time most efficiently!

The short version... My dad has roughly 5-10k ft of super 8, and a few hundred... may 1k feet of 8mm film. He "transferred" it to VHS using his camcorder recording off the wall back in the early 90's... at SLP speed, on a very inexpensive unit, and with the audio feed from the mic recording the room at the time. Not ideal...

I'd like to get professional quality transfer of the film stock, including pulling in the audio. I'd like to color correct, and remove as much scratch/dust as possible too. I looked into some of the professional services that use wet transfer and correction, but for the amount of footage I have I can't justify the cost... it was like $10k+ including the processing work.

I found a "cheap" unit on amazon that seems to be the "wolverine" or a rebrand. it didn't seem great, and figured there was something better. Then I found this site, and blew my mind...

Is there a good resource I should check out to figure out the options one has these days? seems like there's the "wolverine" unit, some possibilities to mod that unit, professional transfer, and some type of custom frame by frame option? did I miss anything?

What's the best quality I can get? What's the best option I can get without professional services and minimal soldering/3d printing? (or is that a pipe dream?

Seems like there's a minimum amount of work I need to plan for which is learning software to process/correct the footage...

Thanks for help! I'm super impressed with the creativity and ingenuity in this community!

-jack

Jack, you are in the right place to find answers to your questions. Just read the posts in this section, and also check out the old forum archive. That will give you insight into what you can do, and how much work you will have to put in to digitizing your dad's home movies.

You can get very good results with many of the methods discussed in the forum. Assuming your dad shot Kodachrome S8, no copy you make is going to surpass the quality you already have on film. I would definitely look into finding a good S8 projector to watch the films. Kodachrome film will last a long time and the color will remain vivid.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
      Jack, you are in the right place to find answers to your questions. Just read the posts in this section, and also check out the old forum archive. That will give you insight into what you can do, and how much work you will have to put in to digitizing your dad's home movies.

You can get very good results with many of the methods discussed in the forum. Assuming your dad shot Kodachrome S8, no copy you make is going to surpass the quality you already have on film. I would definitely look into finding a good S8 projector to watch the films. Kodachrome film will last a long time and the color will remain vivid.

Welcome to the forum!
      Thanks Ed!

it is indeed a whole lotta Kodachrome... man I miss opening those old packs to load the camera.. such a visceral experience.

I didn't even realize the forums were split into an archive. sounds like I should make this forum my next "book" to read... So much stuff over my head here, but hopefully it'll all sink in eventually. All the FPS conversations make me wish my old math teacher was still around... pretty sure I need a tangent or cosine somewhere to figure it out. lol

Comment

Working...
      X