My practical & simple frame-by-frame 8mm film scanning setup, that WORKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My practical & simple frame-by-frame 8mm film scanning setup, that WORKS

I've been attempting to digitize 8mm films for years, starting from projecting the film and using camcorder to record it (like everyone else back then). Then progress it along according to my experience. The ultimate goal is of course finding ways to capture the film, each individual frames at a time, at ample resolution - and with as simplest & cheapest possible solution.

I had eventually achieved it, a dead simple but reliable scanning setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221111_161147.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	71122

As you can see it's pretty straightforward. A modified projector, a digital camera, some wirings, and that's it! No electronics, no arduino, no plc. Nothing complicated whatsoever.

Name:	20221205_212308.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	71123

The film transport is based on a Sankyo Dualux 1000 bought from a flea market for less than 10$. I believe this is the basic version made for domestic Japanese market (100v only, ac line voltage projection lamp). However that doesn't matter as most of its internals would have to be gutted out anyway.

Name:	20221205_212345.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	71124

Mechanically intact, but most of its electronics had been removed. Only the main control switch survives.

Name:	20221205_212404.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	71125

The main drive is now a simple DC 12v geared motor. It is rated output speed is 450 rpm, which would be reduced to around 120-150 rpm (or 2-2.5 fps) at the shutter drive - a perfect fit to my need.

And now the tricky part - the trigger system, to tell the camera when to fire the shutter and take the picture.

Name:	20221205_212422.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	71126

Since I'd need nothing more than a contact closure to release the camera's shutter so I thought of the simplest possible solution. And it really is - a reed switch activated by a magnet glued to the main drive pulley. Ridiculously simple, but WORKS so reliably - it NEVER missed a shot! The rest is just a matter of "timing" the trigger so that it would activate only when the film is stationary in the gate, not while being pulled down.

On the extreme left of the pic is where the shuttle cam and the shutter blade would be. I've found that the shutter blade can be entirely removed without sawing/filing off anything, sweet.

Name:	20221205_212614.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	71127

The light source is nothing but an ordinary 6500k 12v LED found in any hardware store. If the original projector's transformer is still there you can directly run the led from it. But since this projector uses line voltage projection lamp I'd have to use external power supply in this case.

Name:	20221111_161225.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	71129

A diffuser is added between the led & the film gate. Just a sheet of white plastic ripped out from a dead ceiling lamp.

Name:	20221205_212624.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	71130

Here's about the optical path. Still using my tried & trust formula - a 16mm projector lens (50mm f1.6, the most common ones) used as a "magnifier" to enlarge the image large enough to be easily "seen" by the digital camera. With long enough telephoto lens the camera would be able to look directly into the enlarged image of the film via this 16mm projector lens, and fill the image sensor.

By the way the Sankyo's original lens barrel is just a bit too small to have this lens inserted. I ended up replacing it with a 3D-printed part instead. Not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Name:	20221111_161242.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	71131

The camera used is just an old mirrorless ones - Panasonic DMC G-7 (bought second hand for about 280$ a few years back). But any camera with full manual control, electronic shutter function, and wired shutter remote socket should work OK as well.

Name:	20221111_161252.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	71132

The camera works Full Manual mode / native ISO setting / white balanced to the clear film base in the gate, and with digital teleconverter function to fill out the sensor. Capturing at 3 Megapixel, 3:2 aspect ratio seems more than enough resolution to capture at least 95% of details on the film, and to finish the work at HD 1080p resolution.
    (4K & beyond is wayyyyy overkill for 8mm film, I insist.)

Name:	20221111_161353.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	71133

Some wiring mess behind the scene. On the right is the variable voltage PSU driving the main drive motor. Another fixed 12v ones on the power rail will supply power to the LED. The camera is powered by that small wall adaptor at the far right. The wired remote shutter sits in the middle, connecting between the projector and the camera.

The only gotcha of this setup is that it's quite slow - around 2 frames per second. Tried speeding up beyond that but it started to skip frames - still not sure whether it's camera itself running out of buffer, or the SD card used can't keep up the writing with the camera, or both. Therefor I'd set everything up and let it run on its own while I'm doing something else, then come back later to stop the process when it's done.

So how's the result? Does it worth the wait?

Name:	02240_00816.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	71134

This is the actual what "raw" capture (negative stock in this case, Kodak Vision 3 500T I think) from the camera looked like - the entire frame (plus some borders) at 2,272*1,520 resolution. And it's pretty sharp down to all corners.
    You'll get some 3,600 images for every 50 ft of Super 8 reel or around 4,000 for Double 8 films. For easier handling it would recommend to do no more than 150-200 ft at a time unless your PC is powerful enough. Usually I'd use Sony Vegas Pro for subsequent image flip/crop, color correction, editing, and finally export it as .mp4 file at 1080p resolution, bout YMMV.

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	71135
    The very same film frame as the above, after vertical flipping & cropping, color inversion & correction.

Does it really work?
    I've been using this setup for a little over a couple of years, and get enough regular customers to permanently have this as part of my service(s). According to the logbook I've been scanning about 62 of 50' cartridge, or 3,100' (or 230,000 frames) of Super8 this year. So yes it's practical, and works well enough to my need.

For people who's more on programming/3D printing parts this is definitely NOT for you. But for people with slight mechanical skill / electronically idiot & knows nothing about programming (like me ), you may find this approach interesting.

Attached Files

Good work Nantawat. Your setup is simple and low budget and still provides good quality transfers. It would be good to have a list of cameras without mechanical shutter or cameras where the mechanical shutter can be disabled. You use the virtual image concept which makes the optics inexpensive. It is important to have a good quality "condenser" lens. I used the 40mm eyepiece from a telescope successfully, years back. One note, one big problem with the macro lenses or the reverse mount is that these lenses are pretty bulky and hard to get close to the film gate due to mechanical constraints. The virtual image concept solves that issue since the "condenser" lenses are generally smaller and fit the lens tube easier. Actually this is the same concept used in microscopes.

Comment

I'm not sure about listing camera with electronic shutter, but I believe most of today's mirrorless camera would have this function (most Panasonic afaik). As most camera brands are moving away from DSLR this is no surprising to me.

Not only this two-lens setup help solving the working distance issue as I don't have to point the camera's lens so close to the film plane, but I've found that this is more tolerable to alignment/vibration issue. Thus the setup time can be greatly reduced.

Name:	20221222_100209.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	71265

Someday I'd expand this concept to my 16mm setup for sure. As soon as I can find proper dc geared motor to replace the original ones. The rest would be quite straightforward then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
        I'm not sure about listing camera with electronic shutter, but I believe most of today's mirrorless camera would have this function (most Panasonic afaik). As most camera brands are moving away from DSLR this is no surprising to me.
        I meant used cameras Nantawat. Nobody is buying a new camera for projects like these, perhaps a few do but generally, you buy used equipment. So a list if camera recommendations would be good for someone new starting the project.

Comment

Not sure about other brands, but Panasonic seems to be the one with electronic shutter function in all models. My DMC-G7 had proved to work well to this task and the 2nd hand price seems about right - usually around $300-ish range. It would be quite safe to assume that all models afterwards should have this function included as well.

However I may consider "upgrading" to used GH series in the future as they would have better video function, and with memory card slot on its side instead on the bottom as in G7 (a major design flaw imo). That way I can just swap out the card when finished scanning a reel and continue the work instead of transferring all images via a (slow) data cable as of now.

Comment

Thank you Nantawat. Possibly some Sony models as well. With Canon I had to use Magic Lantern which has its issues as well.

Comment

Working...
            X