Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I record video files "back onto" 8mm tapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I record video files "back onto" 8mm tapes?

Essentially transferring a digital video file back onto a new 8mm tape. Is there any way to do this?

I have already digitized four Digital8 8mm tapes and uploaded them to my YouTube channel. I want to now convert these digital video files back onto new empty analog tapes (to make 'physical' copies so to speak). I still have my fully functioning DCR-TRV130E and plenty of empty tapes. Is this possible? if so, how can I go about it? I imagine its similar to when I used to record TV shows directly onto VHS tape with a built-in VCR recorder.

I already accept there will be a loss of quality on my finished product, and I also understand this may be a very uncommon request.

Originally posted by Charlie Bond View Post
    Essentially transferring a digital video file back onto a new 8mm tape. Is there any way to do this?

I have already digitized four Digital8 8mm tapes and uploaded them to my YouTube channel. I want to now convert these digital video files back onto new empty analog tapes (to make 'physical' copies so to speak). I still have my fully functioning DCR-TRV130E and plenty of empty tapes. Is this possible? if so, how can I go about it? I imagine its similar to when I used to record TV shows directly onto VHS tape with a built-in VCR recorder.

I already accept there will be a loss of quality on my finished product, and I also understand this may be a very uncommon request.
    I understood that your concern is between streaming vs physical copy. As you have already digiltal files of your videos then burn them to CDR and you will have physical copies. Make a nice cover and put them on jewel cases.

Why we talk about tapes here? physical records can be on CDR, right?

Comment

Hi Charlie
      The simple answer is yes but you will need a playout device with analogue outputs. Typically that would be a PC with a Capture card and outputs.The output would go to the recording device.
      However, there is always a however, most EU spec camcorders do not allow line recording only camera recording. I have a D8 deck which will record but I'm fairly sure only in D8. My video 8 deck which will record in 8/hi8 is with my engineer with a loading issue. It is an unusual request these days but can be done. YouTube would have re-encoded your uploaded file to progressive, so expect quality loss.

Comment

My first video camera was Sony which used Sony 8 cassettes and when I bought a computer I purchased an editing programme which included an analogue to digital converter at the capture stage. The finished movie was then exported to dvds so that other family members could have copies, particularly the ones of the grandchildren. These would be for their Memory Boxes. So in short, export them to a dvd or memory stick. Dvds are a bit like vynal records, refusing to die but the memory stick may be a good alternative.Ken Finch.

Comment

Why giving so complicated solution?

Every DVD player will have USB port. He has already digital files, save them on USB. Put the USB on DVD player and play the files. Every DVD player will have analogue output (i.e yellow, red and white RCA jacks). Hook this DVD player to a VHS deck and record the playing files like those old days.

But I still dont get it why you need it to keep then on tapes (which will have magnetize problems, fungus attack, wrap tapes etc). Save them on disc (CDR, DVD-R) should you need physical copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post
            Why giving so complicated solution?

Every DVD player will have USB port. He has already digital files, save them on USB. Put the USB on DVD player and play the files. Every DVD player will have analogue output (i.e yellow, red and white RCA jacks). Hook this DVD player to a VHS deck and record the playing files like those old days.

But I still dont get it why you need it to keep then on tapes (which will have magnetize problems, fungus attack, wrap tapes etc). Save them on disc (CDR, DVD-R) should you need physical copies.
            Not sure if you are a politician by trade 😁 but my answer was to a SPECIFIC question not one you chose to answer.
            The o/p may not have the digital files he uploaded to YouTube or the original tapes. He will therefore have download from YouTube.
            Your assumption that every DVD player has a USB socket is WRONG. Many don't and those that do will only play jpg. My Blu-ray player does play MP4 from USB but only has HDMI out. Why put them on VHS?
            As for promoting DVD ...never heard of DVD rot, or even disc damage, scratches etc? Putting the downloaded files straight to USB would be the most future proofed option.
            Hopefully the O/P wil not be a seagull and will come back and explain more.

Comment

Short answer - definitely YES.

All tapes format are intended to be recorded, provided you have the proper vcr & other equipments.

What's your final tape format? VHS, Hi 8, Digital 8, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
                What's your final tape format? VHS, Hi 8, Digital 8, or something else?
                The clue maybe in the post title.

Comment

Hey guys, OP here. Just to reiterate, I have the original 8mm home video tapes. I also have the digitized HQ video files of these tapes. I wish to put these video files BACK onto new 8mm tapes. The reason is for keepsakes; context, I am going travelling with the same camcorder, and want copies of my childhood videos on the same format that I will be using abroad. My family want the original home videotapes. What is the best way (if any, god willing) to put these digital files BACK onto a fresh set of 8mm tapes. Thank you all.

Comment

You will need an 8mm recorder. As previously advised most camcorders in the EU will not allow line inputs. The DCR-TRV130E you mentioned Is Digital8 so if you need anymore help or want me to do this for you, PM me.

Comment

Hey guys, OP here. Just to reiterate, I have the original 8mm home video tapes. I also have the digitized HQ video files of these tapes. I wish to put these video files BACK onto new 8mm tapes. The reason is for keepsakes; context, I am going travelling with the same camcorder, and want copies of my childhood videos on the same format that I will be using abroad. My family want the original home videotapes. What is the best way (if any, god willing) to put these digital files BACK onto a fresh set of 8mm tapes. Thank you all.
                      I see that the DCR-TRV130E has S Video out and Composite Video out jacks, as well as DV (iLink) in/out. You will find instructions on how to dub the 8mm tape on page 63 of the manual (available at https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../W0003019M.pdf). You can also buy new 8mm tapes for about $20 each. You might also find a used DCR-TRV130E on Ebay for about $150 (US) to use to play your old tapes to record on your old camera.

Comment

The best solution is to attain the 2nd digital8 camcorder and a firewire cable. Hook the two camcorder together. Put the original tape in one camcorder, and the blank tape in the other. Press play on the original and press record on the blank, voila.

BTW it is also possible to do that with one camcorder and a PC, but it would be more involved & time consuming. So that's not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by David Strelitz View Post

The clue maybe in the post title.
                          The thread is about to spiral out and I lost the focus. After that the op came back to provide the additional info (Digital8 to Digital8 copy needed, so to speak) hence my additional reply.

Comment

A little irrelevant information for those outside the EU, the ability to record line in or FW in on Camcorders imported to the EU, was in most cases disabled, else it became a recording device which attracted an additional. import tariff. Pro models which did have line in capability, were considerably more expensive. This meant that line in recording was only available on dedicated recorders, NOT camcorders which could only record through the lens.

Comment

Working...
                            X