Cleaning 8mm magnetic film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning 8mm magnetic film?

Hi everyone, I have been operating under the assumption that I shouldn't use FilmGuard or other film cleaners on Super 8 film with a mag-stripe, is this correct? How do you clean films that have 8mm sound, is there a safe solution for the removal of dirt that won't harm the audio quality?

Thanks!

Hello Jacob. I clean all my films with Filmguard, including the ones having a magnetic strip.

Comment

Thank you Dominique, that's very helpful

Comment

I have used it for years on all my 8mm films with no problem at all.

Comment

I too have cleaned sound films with FilmGuard. Some films shed more oxide than others, but so far I haven’t noticed any obvious difference in audio quality.

Comment

...Worry not Jacob! There are many film cleaning agents out there but the one I have found to be completely safe to use on magnetic tracks, help to hide base line scratches and help your film run smoothly through the projector gate and not smell to high heaven is Filmgaurd! Absolutely the finest film cleaner/lubricator out there! I use it on every print in my collection before presentation and they look and sound great! Highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
            X