Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a filmscanner

Hello :-)
    Basically i am wondering how to build a filmscanner? I have a Bauer P6 projector and its working. I also have a s8/r8mm scanner made by a canadian company, thats a pimped projector and works like hell :-) :-)
    Ok, short story: The lens in my scanner got broke, and i never got to find the right one because the manufacturer didnt remember, or maybe he didint want to tell me what lens he used for 4 years ago when i purchased this scanner. Anyway, in my search i concluded tha a new camera and lens is the right way to go, so i ordered a ximea camera, and a 50mm lens i dont remember the name of right now.

And then i found the principles of the scanner, and have a bauer 16mm projector. But what to put in that thing? ANd where to find parts? I have seen a lot of videos and tutorials on the net, but most of them was scanners made of scetchy materials and they will probably work, but....I need a solid and robust scanner. I am also planning a S8/R8mm with sound for both filmtypes in same scanner. Thats possible, right?

But first of all: What to put in the machine, what to remove etc, and finnally, where to find the parts......

This is probably one project that will take some time to finnish, its probably a very expensive project, its not certain i will final it, but i am a curios guy and need to know if i can do it..:-) :-)

Surprised that there are no comments. You went for a pretty good camera. What type of lens did you get? Is it a macro? I have a lens calc spreadsheet but need the lens specs.
    Do you plan to do real time transfer with the camera - projector sync?
    Off the top my head here are the things to think about:
    - Projector LED light
    - Projector motor stability and control
    - Camera and lens mount
    - Camera settings (can spend lots of time here)

Comment

I wil be using frame-by-frame, as this is the thing i use today on the scanner i already have. It works for me, so i will continue that way. I feel i have control over the process this way.
      Camera wil be as mentioned a ximeo, lens will be Yumiki HD 5MP lens 50mm F2.8.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
        Surprised that there are no comments. You went for a pretty good camera. What type of lens did you get? Is it a macro? I have a lens calc spreadsheet but need the lens specs.
        Do you plan to do real time transfer with the camera - projector sync?
        Off the top my head here are the things to think about:
        - Projector LED light
        - Projector motor stability and control
        - Camera and lens mount
        - Camera settings (can spend lots of time here)

Where do i buy this? And what shall i buy? Any ideas?

Comment

I used the video camera light.

The unit I used is no longer available but you could go with something like this:
          https://www.amazon.com/Ulanzi-Ultra-...dp/B0757KCWGW/

Or build your own.

You will need a dffuser.
          I used one from an old scanner. Bit there are many out there.
          Perhaps something like this may work.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/p/25mm-...RoChgMQAvD_BwE

For frame by frame you will need the sync pulse to the camera. I am not familiar with your projector but either a mechanical or optical system has to be added to provide the sync.

Comment

For a frame-by-frame setup, the minimum modifications to the projector would be...
            - The light source - from hundreds of watts to just a few watts of diffused light.
            - The drive motor - it should be slow enough for the capture camera to catch up, unless the camera is fast enough to work in real time.
            - The "trigger" system, to tell the camera when to capture. Could be as simple as a microswitch hardwired to the camera, or something else more elaborate.

Currently my bottom-of-the-line setup is composed of these
            1. A gutted out Dual8 projector. Original motor, but driven at low voltage to get low enough speed. Original lamp replaced with 3W LED lamp with improvised diffuser. An added optical trigger will send left-click mouse command to attached PC.
            2. A good old "prosumer" DV camcorder, namely Sony TRV950 (okay, don't laugh). Although SD but proved to have more resolution & better color rendition than that Full HD Wolverine Scanner, at least.
            3. A capture software - freeware Sclive Capture in stop-motion mode. It's able to capture frames from incoming DV stream at 5fps - fast enough for my need.

The result is genuine frame-by-frame scan in DV file, ready for post work.

Comment

The Full HD Wolverine scanner is not really that. The optics with the 6mm lens gives you only half of the resolution that they claim is HD. Then they double up the image digitally . But anyways my point is that Wolverine is not a good reference to compare against in my opinion anyways. The real resolution test is to use the test film:

http://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages...chString=smpte

The Hawkeye mod has 2X the Wolverine rez tested with the test film.

But you have a good point Nantawat. If it looks good, looks sharp, nice colors, good exposure and dynamic range, who cares how many lines of resolution it has.

The motor control that I used on my microscope scanner project is this:
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IMOS20A/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is for 12V DC motor. Other voltages are also available.

This combination supply + PWM regulator works very nice.

Comment

Working...
              X