No announcement yet.

Wolverine Artifacts Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced the ELP lens that came with the camera with the Imaging Source 12mm lens and the results are much better.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mbl...ew?usp=sharing
    Download the video because playing it from google drive is poor quality.
    This was scanned at 5 frames per second and then run through getdups.avs Avisynth script. The script removed all transitions one 100%.
    I used AMCap for capture and set the Sankyo projector to the minimum speed which runs just slightly higher than 5 FPS.
    Did the getdups script and then horizontal flip and crop and that is about it.
    If you already own a Sankyo projector this will cost you <$100.
    It may be possible to do this mod with other brands if the front opening is wide enough.

A few downsides:
    - The rez is a bit on a low side like 900x700 final crop but in my opinion that is fully acceptable for a medium quality film.
    - AMCap capture sw has preview issues. The preview gets all garbled up but that does not impact the saved video. I tried several capture apps
    but they all have some issues so I stayed with AMCap.

Will try to post the instructions in github within a few days.

Comment

Wow, color me impressed. With a rock solid film drive, this sounds like a really sweet setup.

Comment

One more note. The projector blades have to be removed in order for gitdups to work. With the Sankyo projector the complete cam shaft can be removed and the blades can be removed by undoing the mounting screws. Putting it back together is a bit trickier because the claw assembly has to be aligned properly. This is actually a good time to inspect and lubricate the moving components. I can post a few images outlining the procedure if anyone is interested.

Comment

Optically, this setup is better than the one with the video camera and a custom lens.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	elp_vs_video_camera.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	82987
          To be fair, I did not use the projector lens with my video camera setup, such as Sunray 2" 107 (Wollensak) 16mm projector lens.
          This is my video camera setup
          https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...9472#post79472
          But looking at some other footage taken with the Wollensak lens I don't think it is much different.
          So for my projects I will use this setup with the ELP camera. It is faster than Wolverine and better transport and pretty easy to put together.
          Attached Files

Comment

Is this with the original projector lamp or a modified LED ? Any tips for converting to an LED on the Sankyo projectors ?

Comment

I use this led light from Amazon Mark.
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098W63FJ5
              It fits the lamp compartment after the blades are removed. I use the white filter and on top of that the white dome cover. I rigged up a small stand for it that fits the original lamp socket. Not the best design but it does work ok.
              The light can be run at the minimum brightness with the ELP AR0330 camera and actually it is still too bright so I ended up disabling the auto exposure on the camera.

Comment

Back to the topic, so the bottom line is, you add a $50 ELP camera and mount it in place of the original controller.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230702_180457749.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	83407
                Mount the original controller above the new camera board.

Name:	PXL_20230702_184936746.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	83408

Name:	PXL_20230702_190706687.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	83409

The results are quite good.
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQ9...ew?usp=sharing
                Make sure to download the video before viewing.
                Viewing directly from google drive does not give it justice.

Comment

Working...
                X